Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Not Gibson Grabber On EBay

ash

Not a Grabber but an odd looking Ripper bass on the 'bay. I've emailed him for more details but there are things not quite right with this bass....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141008273244?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

It's a Ripper that's had some major reworking IMHO. Obviously it's been G-3ified (new pickguard and electronics). I wonder if the fretboard has been redone, as a maple boarded Ripper usually has pearl dots, not black ones. Replacement brass nut. Top strap button moved. Apart from that, logo looks OK, headstock looks OK, tuners look OK (from the front), body shape looks OK, set neck is OK, retainer plate for the through body stringing looks OK.

Of course, a serial number would be nice :)

Now ended - I emailed them and pointed out the discrepancies -

Hi - by the fixed neck and headstock shape it appears to be a Ripper Bass - The Grabber and G3 series had a bolt on neck and arrow shaped headstock with pearl dots on the neck. Judging by the pickups the electrics are modded. G3s had distinctive looking Bill Lawrence pickups. I own a G1 and have owned several G3s and Rippers. Hope that helps. Does it have a serial number at the back of the headstock?

No reply.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1373030685' post='2132992']
Could it be an Epiphone reissue? with Gibson decals etc lots of faker basses on the bay at the minuite, whatever it is its a bit of a bitsa
[/quote]

Unlikely, as the Epiphone Ripper is bolt on and has a different shaped headstock - a lot of work to replicate.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1373038465' post='2133110']
Unlikely, as the Epiphone Ripper is bolt on and has a different shaped headstock - a lot of work to replicate.
[/quote] I didn't know that you learn something new everyday :) So I presume it is an original bass that's been "pimped up" for want of a better word? Well it didn't sell seller may relist it at a lower price?

Edited by Thunderbird

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1373041107' post='2133150']
I didn't know that you learn something new everyday :) So I presume it is an original bass that's been "pimped up" for want of a better word? Well it didn't sell seller may relist it at a lower price?
[/quote]

It's an interesting concept - a "posh G-3".