Why become a member? ×

Hello Bass players

Demon Rockstar

Just came across this site and thought Id join up :) So Hi to all you players out there, My name is John.

As i`m new I wasn`t sure where I should post this but i haven`t played in about 15 yrs after having my uninsured bass stolen :(
There are other factors which I`d rather not go into as to why I haven`t played in so long but after getting my life back on track I would like to start playing again.
Ok I learnt to play on a Hohner B2a steinberger copy (one of these) [attachment=137986:41f5jXnp0bL._SX385_.jpg] which I picked up 2nd hand about 25 yrs ago for what I thought was a bargain at £70 British pounds.
The Hohner B2a was a headless bass which had a 24 fret short scale neck on it. So when I would go somewhere and end up jamming with someone else`s usual scale bass I found myself hitting alot of bum notes unless I was Looking at what I was doing cos my bass had a short scale neck.
Anyway cutting to the chase I thought I would like to maybe try a 5 string bass this time around and I found that Hohner do (or did) a 5 string version of my old bass but they cost around £500-£600 British pounds :s
As this is WAY out of my price range I was wondering if anyone could suggest a short scale 24 fret 5 string headless bass in or around the £200-£250 price range?? Any info would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanx in advance for any help
John.

Edited by Demon Rockstar

Hey John,

Welcome to BC! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Your B2A was regular scale, 34". Really.
However, it has special strap button placement, so it tends to stick rather much to the left. Also, its headless design makes that it's easy to choose bum notes when one plays another bass one is not used to.
This however will be no problem once you own a bass and get used to it. I'm a noob, and have no problem shifting between my Hohner and other basses. Then again, I've found a strap length for the Hohner that compensates largely for the Hohner's peculiarities.

A new headless fiver of any quality resembling the B2A (which is a great bass (and yes, 70 quid is a steal!)), will cost you much more, so your budget commands you to go second hand.
BC is a good source for that, and scandalously cheap at that these days.

Going short scale with a headless fiver will make you'll need quite special strings to make this sound well, and my guess is you'll be hard pressed to find those strings.
Not only must they be short scale (rarer) and made for headless (rarer), but also their thickness and compliance will not be standard because of the low B demanding quite some strings before working on a short scale.

All in all, your better bet might be to opt for a headed fiver with 34" scale.
If I'm wrong, rest assured others will chime in an confirm I'm way out there.

At any rate, enjoy the site!

Oh, and Welshland is my second home, after Holland and Norway. ;)

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

Hey comfortably Numb, Thanks for the welcome and clicked on your link and liked your page ;)
coincidentally my favorite band are Pink Floyd, so altho I don`t usually get online much I will try and see when you are playing in or around cardiff nxt and maybe come down and watch you guys play ;)
So Maybe we`ll get to meet one day in the future :)

Hi Bass Tractor, Thanx for your post and the welcome :) , I always thought my bass had a short scale neck on it,(well that was what someone once told me when they used it).
Maybe u`r right and it was the fact that it was headless that gave that impression?
I remember back 15 yrs ago that the strings cost a lot more than a usual set of bass strings, so I am guessing it`ll be the same nowadays.
After I put my post up I explored the site a bit more and found the section where people put their instruments up for sale. I saw a steinberger up for sale but they wanted over a £1000 pound for it. :s :s
I also saw a section where you could trade other instruments on here too. I have a Gewa Tennessee electro acoustic guitar I had given to me and on all the sites I have looked at they seem to be worth around £300+ new.
I have been trying (With VERY LITTLE success) to learn how to play a six string guitar but just can`t seem to get my fat clumsy fingers around the chords :(
So i was thinking of maybe posting it on here in the swap option and ask for a bass worth around the same price as I could get for the Gewa 2nd hand, just to have a bass to start practicing again with until I can save up and get the bass I really want.
But Thanx for all the help :)

You're welcome.
I have never seen a short scale Hohner paddle, and according to Hohner themselves, the B2A, B2ADB, B2AV and B2B all have 24 frets and a 865mm scale.
865mm is 34", so I'd think that this someone was just plain wrong.
Not that I would criticise him/her for it, and it's very easy to make that mistake. My own 30" scale bass is even longer than my 34" Hohner.

Great plan with the swapping. Good luck with that!

b,
b

Edited by BassTractor