Why become a member? ×

Bass Synth Pedal - do I need one for Muse and Gorillaz

Spikeedog

[size=5]Just started playin bass with a rock outfit - got a Muse number (Uprising) and a Gorillaz (Friends inc) in the set. Bass sounds OK with lots of valve overdrive but do I need a Synth pedal - if so, which one - and no I don't want to spend £200 for just a few numbers (yet)... :hi: [/size]

I bought the Digitech BSW for that very purpose, and returned it instantly. I found that a decent fuzz was better overall in a band situation. If you feel you can, and want , to add an octaver and/or a filter pedal that could make it more "synthy". But if funds were tight I'd just stick with a fuzz. The audience won't notice the difference.

Edited by hamfist

If you are looking to spend that much on a pedal, you are probably better off buying an actual synth second hand.

Most synth pedals will require you to modify your playing technique to some degree in order to get usable and consistent results. In the end I found it quicker and easier to teach myself enough rudimentary keyboard skills to play the parts that way.

I think that the thing with the Digitech BSW is that there are a lot of pretty useless sounds in there, but also a few good settings that are a lot of fun when you find them (even my drummer likes it!). I agree that a fuzz is more generally useful though, but if the OP considered going down the seperate fuzz and octave route then the BSW has the added benefit of then being able to do Fuzz into Wah (which sounds great) as well as covering the octave duties.

[size=5]It's like going to Bass University here - thanks for the information. Think I'll price up a second hand synth pedal first (can't resist the idea of a good deal) - any recommendations? When I learn I can't afford that it'll be the fuzz option though I do like the idea of getting a bit of wah with the Digitech - handy for the Muse number :sun_bespectacled: [/size]

I didn't really find anything useable on the Digitech Synth, and the straight envelope filter is lacking IMO. However if you ever want to play Technologic by Daft Punk, the EXACT sound is on that pedal lol.
I would personally go down the route of seperate Fuzz, Octave, Envelope/Wah pedals. Simply so you have an approximation of the synth sound, but you can also use them individually for any other tunes.....therefore spreading the cost across your set rather than £200 on two songs :)

For example:

EHX POG (I think an OC-2 is a better -1 octave, but the POG gives you +1 which helps for synth sounds)
MXR Envelope (love this filter, one of very few pedals where I appreciate the clean blend)
Fuzz (take your pick of brand)

Whether the Fuzz sits in front or behind the filter is your call.

To clarify, I've not listened to either track you've mentioned, so just going on 'generic' synth sounds here

Si

Sibob's approach would definitely trump the BSW, although cost more of course. It depends if you just want a cheap dabble for starters with a second hand pedal that you can move on if it doesn't do what you need, or are sure that you want to invest a broader set of quality pedals. Playing about with them is fun and dangerously addictive (watch out!)

I agree, you have to draw the line between a dabble and actually wanting to acheive something.
If you actually want to achieve something, I wouldn't try a pedal that may well simply put you off, you'll move on 3 decent pedals at no loss (if bought second hand) in the same way you can move on 1.....so actually it just comes down to what you can manage as an initial outlay.
Again, the benfit of a modular system is that each pedal indivually can also be used for other things.....a synth pedal essentially has one function :)

Si

....been through this dilemma with 6 strings - in the end you always come back to 3 or 4 good pedals so good advice guys (specially the named pedals above)....I was looking at a very reasonably priced Markbass Distortion pedal .....so here starts the journey.....