Why become a member? ×

Hogarth/Barbieri - Anyone going to the Scala gig in Sept?

xilddx

[url="http://www.scala-london.co.uk/scala/event.php?id=2086"]http://www.scala-lon...ent.php?id=2086[/url]

They have an album out 'Not the Weapon But The Hand' and in addition to playing that, they will be doing some Porcupine Tree and Marillion numbers apparently.

Should be an interesting show.

Tour Dates ..

August
29 Germany Berlin FritzClub
31 Poland Inowroclaw Festival

September
1 Poland Krakow Studio Club
3 Germany Munich Backstage
4 Germany Bonn Bruckenforum
5 Belgium Verviers Spirit of 66
7 France Paris Le Trabendo
8 Holland Uden De Pul
9 Holland Amsterdam Paradiso
11 UK Manchester Ritz
12 UK London Scala

We'll be performing our album "Not The Weapon But The Hand" as well as music from our respective solo albums and bands. Getting a 6 piece band together now and it's looking good.
More updates will be posted at our [url="https://www.facebook.com/HogarthBarbieri"]Facebook page[/url]

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1372266864' post='2123652']
I got the album, I'm a fan of both Hogarth and Barbieri.

Gotta admit though, I was a bit underwhelmed by the album.
[/quote]

I heard some it, it's very, very ambient isn't it.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1372764448' post='2129556']
Not sure if I'm going. I think I need to listen to the album a bit first. Big PT and Marillion fan though...
[/quote]
I'm assured they'll be playing PT and Marillion stuff too.

[color=#222222]Never really got into Porcupine Tree but figure that they may be worth a bit of effort! For a start their drummer is one of the best around and the whole band kinda intrigue me.[/color]
[color=#222222][/color]
[color=#222222]Can anyone suggest an album that would be a good place to start for someone new to PT??[/color]

Kinda depends what you're into since they've gone through a few different transitions. I might venture to suggest Fear of a Blank Planet, In Absentia and (if you like prog) The Sky Moves Sideways or if you don't then check out Stupid Dream or maybe Deadwing - although there is one very proggy song on it.

I quite like the live CDs too as they pick some good songs from a number of CDs. Maybe try Atlanta?

Hope that helps...probably doesn't though :(

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1372785168' post='2129972']
Can anyone suggest an album that would be a good place to start for someone new to PT??
[/quote]

I love Up The Downstair and The Sky Moves Sideways, and the live album that followed, Coma Divine. Colin Edwin sounds fantastic on Coma Divine. After that it went downhill and I lost interest. Having said that, I love Steven Wilson's recent solo output and might dip my toe into latter PT.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1372845538' post='2130520']
I considered it, but wasn't terribly enthused by the album tbh - any idea who's in the band?
[/quote]

Update from Hogarth on their FB page [url="https://www.facebook.com/HogarthBarbieri?ref=ts&fref=ts"]https://www.facebook.com/HogarthBarbieri?ref=ts&fref=ts[/url]

Just got out of the hammock to write a hello to the faithful. But that's enough about Marianne.. How are we all? I hope you're seeing SOMETHING of the summer weather.. although if you're in central Europe you're probably reading this from the second floor.. or a boat.
"It's raining! Get to the point, h", I hear you saying. And so I shall.
In August I shall abandon the hammock to begin rehearsals ...for the forthcoming Hogarth/Barbieri tour. This show will be split into 2 - the first part will be dedicated to playing songs and music from the "Not The Weapon But The Hand" album (which, if you haven't heard it, I would thoroughly recommend) and the second part will be a chance to hear and see songs from our respective catalogues performed live. These will include h-Band favourites along with well-chosen Marillion, Porcupine Tree, Japan and Richard Barbieri songs/tunes.
If you never got to see the h Band and regretted it, then you'll be pleased to hear that we have a 7 piece band with us which includes, as well as Richard and myself, the wonderful and brilliant Dave Gregory (previously of XTC and currently, Tin Spirits) on guitar, and the shockingly groovy and shamanic Andy Gangadeen on drums. (I'm excited just writing it down..) In addition to this 4 piece of h Band stalwarts are a further 3 rare talents:
Sheema Mukherjee on bass and sitar.
Sheema has been playing sitar since childhood and in addition to performing classical Indian pieces and her own compositions, she is a core member of Transglobal Underground. She can also effortlessly "strap on a precision and rock!".
Ken and Carl Papenfus on guitar, keyboards, percussion and backing vocals.
Ken and Carl are core members of Northern Irish band Relish - both great players and great singers, I chose them having heard Relish perform at Marillion's UK convention recently. I've been a fan of Relish for some years since accidentally catching them playing a club in Dublin and being knocked out by their musicianship and vibe.

So that's the band. Here's the dates:

August
29 Germany Berlin FritzClub
31 Poland Inowroclaw Festival

September
1 Poland Krakow Studio Club
3 Germany Munich Backstage
4 Germany Bonn Bruckenforum
5 Belgium Verviers Spirit of 66
7 France Paris Le Trabendo
8 Holland Uden De Pul
9 Holland Amsterdam Paradiso
11 UK Manchester Ritz
12 UK London Scala

I look forward to sharing this with you.
Soon..
h
xx