Why become a member? ×

Totally British: 70s Rock

BetaFunk

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1372000399' post='2120471']
I think my biggest pleasant surprise was a Carpenters live set with some great drumming and a couple of fantastic sounding guitar solos.
[/quote]
Goodbye To Love has to have one of the best crafted guitar solos ever.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1371997037' post='2120432']
Was that the 'Naughty Rhythms' Tour?

The Kursaals were on a couple of them along with Dr Feelgood, Brinsley Schwartz, Kokomo, Chilli Willi and the Red Hot Peppers etc
[/quote]

I don't know , to be honest . I don't think so , because throughout the film they are complaing that Dr Feelgood have played the same gigs before them and blown the roof off the place , leaving them with a tough act to follow . I saw the documentary about fifteen or twenty years ago and was struck by what an interesting picture of Britain in the mid -1970's it was . The fact that it was filmed in black and white ,except for the live music sequences that were in colour , added to that impression . I remember the scene where they are driving into Glasgow and marvelling at what a grim place it is , them talking to girls after college gigs , and discussing the merits of Peavey amps . I can't find it anywhere on the internet to watch again and refresh my memory . I am told on good authority that this film was actually a major influence for Spinal Tap and some of that films dialogue was directly inspired by the Kurzaal's film . Anyhow , I would love to see it again

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1372000387' post='2120470']
I wasn't a great fan of the Kursaal Flyers, either. Saw them a couple of times at the Blue Boar pub, which was 'their manor' but it was mainly strutting and posing. Dr Feelgood - the other local band - were the real deal, though. And are still amazing to see live - saw them a month or so back.
[/quote]
The Kursaal Flyers were really excellent around 1976 and they used to put on a great show. Dr Feelgood were of course great but i wouldn't compare the two as they both own had their own style.
I know that both these bands reformed with various line-up but to me there was only one Kursaals and that's the 1976/7 version with Will Birch and Paul Shuttleworth and the only Dr Feelgood is with both Lee Brilleaux and Wilko. The other line-ups don't even come close to the real thing.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1372001234' post='2120485']
I don't know , to be honest . I don't think so , because throughout the film they are complaing that Dr Feelgood have played the same gigs before them and blown the roof off the place , leaving them with a tough act to follow . I saw the documentary about fifteen or twenty years ago and was struck by what an interesting picture of Britain in the mid -1970's it was . The fact that it was filmed in black and white ,except for the live music sequences that were in colour , added to that impression . I remember the scene where they are driving into Glasgow and marvelling at what a grim place it is , them talking to girls after college gigs , and discussing the merits of Peavey amps . I can't find it anywhere on the internet to watch again and refresh my memory . I am told on good authority that this film was actually a major influence for Spinal Tap and some of that films dialogue was directly inspired by the Kurzaal's film . Anyhow , I would love to see it again
[/quote]
I still think that this is great.

http://youtu.be/G-x-tcQWYQA

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1372000399' post='2120471']
I think my biggest pleasant surprise was a Carpenters live set with some great drumming and a couple of fantastic sounding guitar solos.
[/quote]

I think I know which show you're talking about. In case, it was great, and those songs with the guitar solos rocked yer socks off - comparatively speaking.
Do you remember whether they had motorcycles riding on stage at one or two points?

Apparently, the show that was distributed widely on TV in Europe, was later released - at least on CD. There's also a CD set of outtakes that is reported to be just as good as the "official" release.

Me like.

best,
bert