Why become a member? ×

Help me! (recording issue)

Patchbass

Right i plugged my bass into my zoom and then used the usb connection to go into my computer (mac) and garageband and then added it as a real instrument and then selected bass and no effects. When i record under 50 bars my recording is fine but when i go over it distorts and buzzes but I only realise till i play it back as it doesn't make a noise when i'm recording. I'm not clipping the input or anything and i've checked all leads and it seems to be something when go over 50 bars mainly but once i've recorded and listened to it then my bass no matter how many bars i record makes the noise! Here's a sample (horrible isn't it): http://youtu.be/nkn4rpEv67M please help me someone I want to get recording!

Dunno, I've only launched Garageband twice before uninstalling it. If your Zoom doesn't appear in that list then I'd just check whether it'll act as a USB interface or if the drivers are the most current ones. If it's plugged in and can be used as an interface then it should really appear as an option for audio input.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1371575146' post='2115765']
Google it, there are a few really great sites specifically doing Mac recording stuff.

What Mac are you using, it could be a memory issue.
[/quote] hmm it's a fairly old mac and i wondered whether it could be the memory but there's not much i can clear off it i'll keep trying

[quote name='Patchbass' timestamp='1371578091' post='2115824']
sorry hope I don't sound dumb but what do you mean by freeze?
[/quote]

Not dumb at all.

I've just checked in garageband on my laptop, which may be a later version than you're running, and you can lock a track. In Logic it's called freezing it, which converts the midi to audio, freeing up RAM.

There's an article here.

[url="http://www.murrayewing.co.uk/gmoogb/article_04.php"]http://www.murrayewing.co.uk/gmoogb/article_04.php[/url]

Hope this helps dude !

I had a similar problem with my old macbook, it was one of the white plastic bodied ones, maybe about 5 years old.

My tracks are quite dense with lots of layers of synths, and it used to stick when I was playing tracks back.
That was a RAM problem, I think it only had maybe 500 MB available.

I use it a lot for uni, so I blew a big portion of January's student loan and bought a new one, the problem's stopped now.

Hopefully what I've posted above will work for you.

YES!!!!!!!!!! I think you've done it thank you!!!! I can't believe it was the memory like i thought in the first place but without you i wouldn't have tried harder or again! At least I think that's the problem, I cleared some of the memory and it seems to work!! (lets hope so) thanks everyone!