Why become a member? ×

John Entwistle at the Bass Weekend in 1982 (Recording)

reds42

I finally got round to digitising some of my tapes from the Bass Centre's Bass Weekend in 1982. Only taken me 31 years. Sorry about that.

Mind you I did have to wait for the Internet and Youtube to be invented ;-)

This one's of John Entwistle performing and the Q&A session after. It was a fantastic performance - and very loud. Lucky tapes don't clip like digital eh ;-)

He was playing his Warwick 'Buzzard' through a bunch of Gallien-Krueger amps. Guitar amps IIRC.

I have great memories of that weekend - and some more performances on my walkman some place. Jonas Hellborg, Paul Westwood, Joe Hubbard & Neil Murray on an early Roland bass synth. Nathan King was in my class - I remember him being as good as his brother back then. I think he was about 15 !

Oh yeah - here's the link. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM9EEg56bYM[/media]

Edited by reds42

It was an amazing weekend, really exciting !

Pretty certain it was 1986, I'd have been 9.

We were in the same class by the way :D I was sat next to Nathan King on the day he was introduced as Mark King's brother. He had this really odd looking bass, looked like a jigsaw piece.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='reds42' timestamp='1371511811' post='2114982']
It was an amazing weekend. I think you're right - '86, as I had my Jaydee with the custom pickup and I think I got it in that year. Hopefully some other people will drop by that were there :)
[/quote]

Custom pickup ?

Kind of like a double size pickup ?

I was at the '87 one, and recall travelling down to London on the bus and seeing the devastation of the "Michael Fish" storm... but that's another story!

In fact, I have a cassette recording of it somewhere I think! Entwistle was there in 87, as were Rob Burns, Tim Landers, Joe Hubbard, Paul Westwood... all the usual suspects. As it was at the height of Level 42's popularity, everyone was plaing bass like a typist :o but I do recall some very tasty Goodfellow basses... It's all a bit hazy though B)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1371541940' post='2115124']
I was at the '87 one,
[/quote]

Me too. I probably have the cassettes somewhere. It was an awesome weekend. I was 16 and travelled up from Cornwall on my own.