Why become a member? ×

Ruach Utility Bass

4 Strings

Ok, I've found a reason on which to hang a decision. This:
[url="http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/4Strings1/media/Ruach%20Utility%20Bass/NewPups_zps3ab7bb7b.jpg.html"][URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/4Strings1/media/Ruach%20Utility%20Bass/Bluepickups_zps99fd0d78.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o760/4Strings1/Ruach%20Utility%20Bass/Bluepickups_zps99fd0d78.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/url]

The blue pickups look ok but they are from different wood to the body and so the colour etc doesn't quite match and, for me, doesn't really work. The earlier example (the shiny green one) the pup was made from the cutout from the top wood and so matched perfectly. On this bass the covers are from the neck maple and not the body sycamore and so will take the stain slightly differently and not quite match the colour and look of the body.

The pups will be lacquered in clear, that's going on this morning, hopefully be ready after our trip to Peterborough!

Edited by 4 Strings

I'll get on with it, Andy! Unfortunately it's back to work today, but rehearsed with it last night and tomorrow night and a gig on Saturday - anyone in Bolton free on Saturday? - and I have lots of new songs to learn. Next week is equally busy playing-wise so I should have a get a good impression.

Couple of things in the mean time. There's some setting up still to do, after all this time Heath had one day to mount the pickups, sort out all the wiring etc, lacquer the pups (once I'd finally made up my mind), wait for them to dry and finally set up the fully assembled bass. He will be popping down next Saturday morning to give the frets a final dress and sort anything else out that crops up. I've played around with the pups to sort the balance to my taste and they seem fine.

One niggle is the 5-way selector. These are Strat type switches and, it turns out, cannot work as I wanted for the coil selection (they are made to select
coil: adjacent pair: coil: adjacent pair: coil
meaning I can't have all pups at once nor my first and last coil scoop. There are other types available and I'm also going to look at MM type switches (and maybe bite my lip regarding their spare parts prices!) to see if it can be solved, but in the meantime I'll be playing about with sounds to see if it needs solving.

Orchestral type rehearsal last night (intense concentration - I'm a poor reader!) but couldn't help notice that this bass sings! The sustain is incredible, I cannot find a dead spot anywhere (normally 5th fret on the G with one piece maple necks) and where I may have been used to a quieter G with the Stingray (if it was it certainly wasn't a problem) this one sings. It's a bit like driving a car that is clearly more powerful than your last, just a touch and it's off! Also the low notes are really defined, no woolliness but very clear and solid with plenty of woomph.

No doubt I'll be playing with pups and action all week, it will take me a good couple of weeks to get it all settled.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1383554419' post='2265662']
I'll get on with it, Andy! Unfortunately it's back to work today, but rehearsed with it last night and tomorrow night and a gig on Saturday - anyone in Bolton free on Saturday? - and I have lots of new songs to learn. Next week is equally busy playing-wise so I should have a get a good impression.
[/quote]

Enjoy getting to know it matey! It's a real beaut!!

Nothing to report as yet, rehearsal got cancelled earlier in the week so it's straight in with a gig tomorrow night for that set. In the meantime I've been playing at home every day and fiddling. Slowly getting the action sorted and sounds organised.

However this is all a little bit of a waste of effort as Heath is popping by tomorrow to go over the frets and to check the wiring, and we think one coil of the MM Pup may be out of phase so action and sound is likely to change (improve?).

It's difficult to 'love' a new thing because it's expected to do everything perfectly. Only when it has shown to be faithful etc does it become loved, just like the faithful old banger that always got you home at night years ago!

It's going to take a while to become 'mine', I've learnt that first (usually enthusiastic) impressions are not the most important. The bass will become mine once it's been played in for a while longer and fiddled to suit my every nuance and loved when it can be relied upon to do the business. I've no doubt it will reach these stages, every reason why it should.

(Just been doing some editing/mixing on some recordings earlier this year, my Stingray was so twangy! Big eq changes required for soul music. The Utility bass has an exceptionally big, mellow P sound from the neck pup, can't wait to use it in anger for soul. Have to wait a week or so for that, get some gunk in those new strings in the meantime.)

Will post up some pics when I get time to do them. It has an unusual 'look' about it in real life, almost as if it's a cartoon caricature of a bass.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, good point. (I've been up to my neck in work and mixing an album for my band - spare time is very short. However, I've been busy playing and the bass is getting all the use).

Heath came round for a morning, sorted out the wiring with no problem, had a go at the frets and solved the G buzzing in a couple of places. (as mentioned, the original set-up was a bit rushed)

At the moment though, it's all about the sound. I don't know if everyone else finds this, but it takes me a while to get the sound sorted with any new bass, especially one with a complex (well, certainly for me anyway!) preamp. I wonder that I'd rather a single pup!

To cut a very long story short I've had a problem with trying to balance out the strings. The G seems loud, the D quiet, the E is an almighty destroyer! What could be more awkward, a singing G and E but pups which can only be adjusted at the ends. The cutting the story short bit jumps straight to taking out one of the two batteries. The extreme bass boost from an 18V East preamp was more than I could control, 9V brought things back to normal and I have an ace sounding bass!

The neck pup (a P winding but in a J shaped box) sounds like a great P and is very powerful. I've wound it into the body and the volume between the two have balanced out. The MM pup is very funky, gives a good clear sound with that MM punch. The J coil in the MM pup does it's job and sounds like a j! I don't know why the P should be louder than a twin coil humbucker, I will pursue it with their maker.

I have to say the E gives a resounding, clear tone. The construction and the wood, or whatever physical things contribute give this a string, deep, non-boomy tone down the bottom there.

The D has improved with the removal of the second battery but it is still quiet. It's like a the flat spot on the G at the 5th/6th fret on Fenders but on the D. I've tried a different string, top loading the string to no difference. I'd like to try a Fat Finger, but don't have one, and when I get time, I'll experiment with blue-tac and coins (or something similar) to see if I can change the resonant frequency of the neck and, if so, whet edit improves things. I've let Heath know and he's come up with a couple of ideas. It doesn't stop me playing the bass at all, but I'm just lacking that bit of 'pow' from the D. (I will try a completely different make of string It has Newtones at the moment, Heath's fave and mine too, but I'll put a Roto on and see what happens.)

The G really goes, compared to a Fender it hs not dead spots at all and sings all the way. This appears more pronounced than it is being next to the quieter D. Sort the D and I'll be a happy bunny.

Other important things, like the body being lighter than my Stingray, very comfortable and the whole nicely balanced on the strap, the asymmetric neck, the semi-sunken controls etc are all good but kind of taking second place to the D. It's a sensitive bass, needs a soft touch and can express a lot of feel, makes my old P seem a little agricultural.

I'm getting progressively happier with the bass with use and sorting, it gets gasps from other interested parties when they see it. I love the green, the neck really looks amazing and it is beautifully made. I'm using it for everything and it's getting on with its job as a Utility Bass as intended, albeit probably too pretty for that!

Any ideas for reducing the effect of a flat spot gratefully received. Of course, the best way would be to have the sandwich neck construction on most custom (and all other Ruach) and high end basses. The one piece was my choice, may be not the best? We'll see.

Heath is doing his best all the way along. He's a really great guy.

Had a great gig with it on Saturday (Supersonic Funk Band - covers in a pub). It plays beautifully and gives a lovely punchy sound, an I love that I can flick the pup switch to P or MM. Whack up the treble and there's the slap sound for Ain't Nobody.

Also the finish is robust - it took a knock there but with no effect at all, my old red Stingray would have shed a little flake of red lacquer, I'm sure.

It's proving itself as the Utility Bass it was intended to be, just need to solve the D! The good news is that I made it worse by fiddling, so, presumably I must be able to make it better! Been thinking about those Fat Fingers, they apparently work, but I can't see how they're different from my grabbing hold of the neck, even the end of it.

I want to go for a different pup switch to get the coil configuration I want, already been talking to Heath about that, he's suggested a Strat 'Superswitch' with 20 odd connections so that any configuration of coils and switch positions can be set up. When this happens (probably when the tuner gets fitted - when it finally arrives!) the electronics will all be rewired anyway, that would be a good time to review things.

In the meantime we're heading into another busy week of rehearsals and gigs, more use for the UB!

Yes - I will get some pics sorted!

Edited by 4 Strings

Ok, I know no-one wants to see any more words without pics, but I am unbelievably busy at the moment, which is a good thing.

BUT, I am also unbelievably happy, I've got the D nice and punchy by some simple pup adjustment. Played with them before, of course, but went for it a bit more, just winding the bass side away and lifting the treble side. This has made the G loud, but I'm taking that as a blessing and can adapt for it and, in fact, find it useful (to get those little octave pops on Thinking of You, for example).

Really looking forward to a gig on Friday when I can give it another go. They are a tight fit in their cavities and I might need them to tilt a bit more to finally settle on the right position, but I'm feeling quite relieved at the moment.

Pics to come as soon as I get a moment to do them - I'm liking it a lot more now!

• 4 weeks later...

The Funk is in the pics - Look!

[url="http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/4Strings1/media/PC180462_zpscfd6a8b5.jpg.html"][/url]

Trying to get the 3D effect of the maple in this...
[url="http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/4Strings1/media/PC180473_zps5bba4052.jpg.html"][/url]

Back of the headstock, only the front and fretboard are lacquered (to keep it clean etc)
[url="http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/4Strings1/media/PC180467_zps6927230f.jpg.html"][/url]

A neck that looked like this was one of the more vanity issues of the brief:
[url="http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/4Strings1/media/PC180472_zpsc87ef713.jpg.html"][URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/4Strings1/media/PC180466_zpsa72424ea.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o760/4Strings1/PC180466_zpsa72424ea.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/url]

Knobs and Pups:
[url="http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/4Strings1/media/PC180470_zps72e2c320.jpg.html"][/url]

The body gets lots of comments. As does mine, but in a different direction:
[url="http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/4Strings1/media/PC180469_zps9f558520.jpg.html"][/url]

The back, better than the front?
[url="http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/4Strings1/media/PC180471_zpsb1fb5ed7.jpg.html"][/url]

The Wheel of Fortune!
[url="http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/4Strings1/media/PC180476_zps35c9a4aa.jpg.html"][/url]

Luminous dots - they actually work! Not for a full set though:
[url="http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/4Strings1/media/PC180474_zps066c51b6.jpg.html"][/url]

Just coz:
[url="http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/4Strings1/media/PC180477_zps8a915b6b.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by 4 Strings

[b]Impressions[/b]

I've now done 15 gigs with this bass and probably as many rehearsals, I'm beginning to get to know it.

The neck is truly amazing and the action can be as low as you want. I tend to have it above the lowest possible so I can 'dig in' a bit. There's been some big changes in conditions (from freezing outside into overheated venue etc) and the wheel of fortune has come into it's own in allowing a quick fractional adjustment to keep things exactly where they should be. Very easy to use, used it on the fly twice now whereas before I would have just lumped the slight change in relief. I'm getting spoilt.

Soundwise, it's very punchy but, to be honest, I wish I'd gone with one pickup! It turns out I'm happier getting the sound I want from one than from too many options. However, the neck pup is a very powerful P. Looks like a Jazz but is wound like a P and has been positioned to be the midpoint of the the two parts of a P from the bridge. It kills that sound, and I love it! The M pickup still needs some work. It's wired in parallel but I'm waiting a little diagram from Aaron Armstrong to wire in in series and so boost it's output somewhat. It's got a good sound but the output level is rather 'cool'. Again, very punchy and the single bridge coil is positioned where a Jazz would be and this works well when separated by the switch. I'm still playing with the infinite variations from the combination of the East preamp and two pups, but getting there.

It plays like butter, it has to be said. I noticed this more when I used the Relay Bass recently. 'Oh yes', my memory said, 'that's what a normal bass is like'. The Ruach is very comfortable, easy to get slip into and is already feeling like those comfy slippers. It's not a lightweight (compared to the ply body of the Relay Bass anyway) but it's lighter than my 'Ray and easy to swing about and not be noticed on a long set.

The 'E' sounds lovely and tight, the 'G' absolutely sings, but, if you've read before, the 'D' is a quiet string. I believe it's resonance/harmonic thing. Doesn't stop me using the bass and only I am ever aware of it. I have played with the eq to enhance the 'D' and I'm also hoping a rewire of the MM pup will help, but get things wrong and the 'D' can get lost in a mix. With the bass on it's own you wouldn't notice, it sounds fine but in a band setting the harmonics it produces seem to cut through less than the other strings. I've played with the pup heights so that rather than a quiet 'D' I have a loud 'G' as that is easier to play with.

It is honestly a thing of beauty, still gets gasps from onlookers, only last Tuesday from a singer in a pub in Brentwood 'Are you sure, Greg?' he said, 'that's pretty amazing!'

You might notice on the 'Knobs and Pups' pic, the 'E' saddle on the bridge is losing it's black. I tend to play dampened quite a lot and my palm has worn this off already. Not at all bothered by it, but it does show that this bass is getting well used. It's a Utility Bass, I expect plenty more signs of wear and tear on surfaces to appear. It's become 'mine' and I'm looking forward to further improvements in the MM output and as I slowly solve the 'D'.

It is not for sale!

Not sure what's happened to the tuner - it's been paid for and ordered, I ought to chase to see if it's arrived on these shores!