Why become a member? ×

Transcription For Kuru/Speak Like A Child?

Any ideas where i could get my hands on a complete transcription of this epic?

I've got numerous books stating the song is included among the transcriptions, but its only the 'Kuru' bassline (the repeating vamp) and nothing else!

A bit frustrating, as its a bit too ambitious for me to tackle a transcription of myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Martyn

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1370863296' post='2106397']
I'll have a look what I've got in my stuff.
[/quote]

thanks for looking anyway!

here's a youtube link to the song if anyone hasn't already heard it:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgwkvbzd9x4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgwkvbzd9x4[/url]

I was learning some Jaco's stuff.Have you seen the Hal Leonartds book? If you want I have one spare I can pass it. I usually try to go and transcribe stuff by ear and use someone else's transcription as a guide ( check the fingering)> I usually choose some study piece and try to get bar by bar and get by ear and work on it every day...listen to it allot and by no time you will be able to pick it up .. I heard guys that they play the transcriptions or read tab but they completely lost feel how it should sound ( and that is I believe first recording and than you can change it however you want, the whole point is to learn from recording as I am quite sure you are not gonna play it a band ?)

[quote name='matejj53' timestamp='1371033191' post='2108799']
I was learning some Jaco's stuff.Have you seen the Hal Leonartds book? If you want I have one spare I can pass it. I usually try to go and transcribe stuff by ear and use someone else's transcription as a guide ( check the fingering)> I usually choose some study piece and try to get bar by bar and get by ear and work on it every day...listen to it allot and by no time you will be able to pick it up .. I heard guys that they play the transcriptions or read tab but they completely lost feel how it should sound ( and that is I believe first recording and than you can change it however you want, the whole point is to learn from recording as I am quite sure you are not gonna play it a band ?)
[/quote]

I currently have 6 different JP based books,

The 'Signature Licks' book has the intro/vamp and the 3/4 over 4/4 vamp he plays over the first piano solo, but nothing else.
The 'Bass method' book has a 1 bar vamp exercise.

The intention was to use the transcription to learn the part so i could play it as a performance piece.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Shobaleader One' timestamp='1375996630' post='2168516']
Thanks for that Joe - I cant seem to open the file though, says its an iphone script file? Seems ridiculous i cant open it on an imac :s
[/quote]

You have to change the file extension to pdf, some problem with the forum software, apparently.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Shobaleader One' timestamp='1370814377' post='2105991']
Any ideas where i could get my hands on a complete transcription of this epic?

I've got numerous books stating the song is included among the transcriptions, but its only the 'Kuru' bassline (the repeating vamp) and nothing else!

A bit frustrating, as its a bit too ambitious for me to tackle a transcription of myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Martyn
[/quote]

I don't know how good your ears are, or your ability to transcribe, but what do you think is holding you back? You mention that it's too ambitious to transcribe. Is it just writing it down or actually picking out the notes? I just want to get to the root of why you don't think you're capable of learning the song by yourself, or at least having a good stab at it. I must admit I've never transcribed it but have played along with it, and in the grand scheme of things it's not mega-hard to work out what's going on.

The start, "transaction section" and end have a 5 over 4 run in A minor pentatonic - 5 notes up the pentatonic from the root, then same again starting from the 2nd note of the scale, then the third etc. with a little twist at the end.
The one chord vamp over A min appears throughout the tune, briefly going into a 3 over 4 variant - 4 x a 3-beat vamp and 1 x a 4-beat vamp = one 4-bar vamp.
The Speak Like A Child sections are more like a jazz standard, but if you listen closely it's almost all cycle of fourths with some chromatic moves. And apart from embellishments, Jaco's line is largely root and 5th.

Apart from Jaco's actual lines in the Speak Like A Child bit, that's it. If you feel comfortable with putting dots on a page, why not give it your best shot and post it here (or check against the transcriptions above). You'll learn far more, not just about the tune, but for the future.