Why become a member? ×

Is this neck savable?

rubis

[attachment=136591:DSC05506.JPG] Whilst tapping in a truss rod on this neck, intended for a 5 string build, it split just behind the 1st fret. Its a kind of sharks mouth shape and extends for 30mm between the two walnut stringers.
On closer inspection of the truss rod channel, there is only about 2mm thickness of wood at that point.
I do intend to put a 2mm black veneer in between the neck and the fingerboard, running the length of the neck and headstock and I wondered if the neck would be ok to repair with Titebond, or if its off to the scrap bin with it
All advice welcome, Harry

If it's only a 2mm thick shard then it's probably repairable.

I'd slide a stanley knife blade in there and gently prise it up (gently being the operative word here - you want to create a 'working space', not split the wood off or make the shard longer than it already is) and then get plenty of wood glue down there.

Clamp it, wipe off the excess and leave it for a day.

Wood glue is rather good - it has some pliability and dries stronger than the original wood. :)