Why become a member? ×

Modifying a Jaguar bass... Good idea??

I'm in love with my hotrod-red Jag bass - it feels solid and well-made, plays beautifully, and looks the BOMB - but I keep wanting to get more of a P-bass sound from it at the moment. Thought it might be a cool idea to replace the neck pickup with p-bass pickups. Is this wise? Will I get the tones I want? Short of trading in for a P/J Deluxe or something of course... But I don't think I want to get rid of this big ol' red cutie just yet...

Edited by Alexthemack

[quote name='Alexthemack' timestamp='1370782108' post='2105416']
I'm in love with my hotrod-red Jag bass - it feels solid and well-made, plays beautifully, and looks the BOMB - but I keep wanting to get more of a P-bass sound from it at the moment. Thought it might be a cool idea to replace the neck pickup with p-bass pickups. Is this wise? Will I get the tones I want? Short of trading in for a P/J Deluxe or something of course... But I don't think I want to get rid of this big ol' red cutie just yet...
[/quote]

If the routing is an issue, try a DiMarzio Model J, it does a pretty convincing P impression especially when wired in series.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1370891260' post='2107063']
Probably cheaper to buy a Squier VMJ Jaguar than have the routing work done, get a custom scratch plate made and buy another pickup.
[/quote]
Then, when you've done that, pop a bit of veneer on and hey presto...the black Squier looks like this :)

[attachment=137047:IMG_1502.JPG]

Andy