Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass neck issue.

bubinga5

Went to a rehearsal this evening and started playing, and realised that the skunk stripe on the back of the neck has raised proud of the surface. really not sure weather this is a major issue other than feeling it. has anyone else had this.. it has not affected the playability of the bass, no buzzing etc. just wondered if this might get worse in any way.? it is only raised in one area of about 2 inches.

still worries me to be honest.

I experienced this with a MIM 70's reissue bass that I bought from PMT in Leeds a few years ago (it was Sound Control back then I think). Took it out of the case one morning, and the skunk stripe could be felt on the back of the neck, and there was a slight gap visible on the back. I'd made no adjustments to the setup since purchasing it, there had been no knocks, extreme temperature changes etc. I didn't like the look or feel of it at all, so I took it back to the shop to ask for their advice. They seemed to think it was sufficient reason for a return the bass and happily swapped it on the spot for an identical model they had on the shop floor. Never had any bother with the replacement bass.

I seem to remember in the back of my mind that Fender necks have a limited lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects , so if all else fails it might be worth getting in touch with Fender U.K and seeing if they will help yuou , regardless of how long you have had the bass .

I've noticed on every fender instrument I've had that the stripe swells and shrinks independently of the maple. Sometimes you feel it sometimes you dont. Never keep your bass in a case for long periods and try not to leave it in unheated environments during wintertime. Guitars are made to be kept in centrally heated houses generally and will change shape in different conditions. If it is not visible and is just something you can feel I wouldn't worry bout it. Still in tune? Neck still straight?

Is it noticeable by sight or can you just feel it with your fingers? On a small bit of my Jazz neck (about the 3 rd fret) I can feel the skunk stripe but when I look at it closely it isn't jutting out from the neck, it just seems like a bit of the the poly finish has flaked of at this point. It is a 30 year old neck though and it's played hundreds of gigs in my hands over the years. I do have the truss maxed out though so was a bit concerned that the neck might be under stress.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1370686690' post='2104336']
It's goosed. The glue had become unstuck at that point and the trussrod is pushing it out of the neck. Your neck most likely needs replaced or repaired. Take it to your tech asap. Might be wise to slacken the tr if you think it's really bad.
[/quote]well i sanded down the neck with very fine wire wool, i dont like the poly feel. then it was dropped by a dickhead that made the poly that was still there crack, that was a year ago, hasnt moved since. then all of a sudden within a day it moved, it was about a mm proud.. i think its the change in temp myself. words from my local luthier, " the skunkstripe is just a cap/cover for the truss rod. nothing to with the stability of the neck, thats why your not experiencing any string buzz, neck change". this guy has worked on hundreds of basses with this issue, and i tend to agree with him. hes going to shave the neck.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1370694672' post='2104480']
words from my local luthier, " the skunkstripe is just a cap/cover for the truss rod. nothing to with the stability of the neck, thats why your not experiencing any string buzz, neck change". this guy has worked on hundreds of basses with this issue, and i tend to agree with him.
[/quote]I'd be Shocked if any glue failed here. Like I say, they just tend to move around a bit. Nothin to bother about.
Your man is correct of course and the stripe could easily be replaced if there was any serious issue, which I doubt.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1370694918' post='2104485']
I'd be Shocked if any glue failed here. Like I say, they just tend to move around a bit. Nothin to bother about.
Your man is correct of course and the stripe could easily be replaced if there was any serious issue, which I doubt.
[/quote]Nice to hear from a Luthier such as yourself.. he told me a replacement truss rod cap/cover would be very expensive, and if i might consider this, i may as well buy a new neck

i could be corrected but the truss rod is pushed against the two ends of the neck. from heel to nut area. it doesnt need the skunkstrip to push against. take away the skunk strip and it will still act the same.?

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1370697747' post='2104539']
Drop it in from the front and it acts against the finger board?
[/quote]if this was the case maybe you would get alot of pressure against the fingerboard, thus bowing it outwards.?

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1370654402' post='2104121']
Went to a rehearsal this evening and started playing, and realised that the skunk stripe on the back of the neck has raised proud of the surface. really not sure weather this is a major issue other than feeling it. has anyone else had this.. it has not affected the playability of the bass, no buzzing etc. just wondered if this might get worse in any way.? it is only raised in one area of about 2 inches.

still worries me to be honest.
[/quote]
You don't sound like you have as much faith in the local guys advice before? Could you try loosening the rod off completley, if the skunk stripe moves back in under thumb pressure then its clearly being pushed out by the rod and needs fixing?