Why become a member? ×

Adding a sub

xgsjx

After reading redstriper's reggae sub Q, it got me thinking would a sub work in conjunction with standard cabs?

I was having a look at BFM's site & started looking at the Tuba 24. If I built this or bought a PA sub (8ohm) would it work ok with my MB combo & just give more depth to the bass (like car or PA subs do), or would it cancel out frequencies & play sh!t with the sound? I remember BFM saying about how different makes of driver can mess with one another if they're in the same frequency range, but as it's a sub & looking to make just low rumble to shake things with it, would this fall outside the frequency range?

G

[quote name='xgsjx' post='212491' date='Jun 4 2008, 09:07 AM']If I built this or bought a PA sub (8ohm) would it work ok with my MB combo & just give more depth to the bass (like car or PA subs do
G[/quote]
Yes, provided a crossover is used so that the two augment each other rather than detract from each other. The T24 plans include a passive crossover option.

Ahhhhh - the dark road of cab building :) After hearing one, be prepared to build another one and V plate them :brow:

I'm sure that not only will one of Bill's subs out-perform a PA bass bin, it'll be cheaper and lighter too.

I'm just a few weeks away from building my BFM cabs - but I want to get the house move out of the way first! If you do the build (and looking at the T24 plans, it doesn't look too hard) be sure to do a build diary in the forum :huh:

Hamster

Excellent. Thank you Mr F, you have just made my day & will be in touch with your website to buy the plans when I'm due to start.

This saves me spending @£700 on a MB410 (which is what I was thinking I'd have to do for more depth at volume).

Never done woodwork for about 4 years or built cabs for even longer (they wasn't great) & getting excited just thinking about it! lol

I'll have a look at the build diaries & when I'm building will post on the forum too.

Thanks again.

I've built 4 types of DIY sub's before, 2 of which have been BFM designs, and pound for pound the dual loaded tuba 24's are buy quite a distance my favourites. I don’t use them for bass but have tested them for it, and the power and clarity they added to my rig was impressive.

For the build practice a few angled cuts (mitre?) and once you have that down they are actually very easy to build.

I'd also sugest getting an active X-over, if possible, then simply play it low and you will be grinning from ear to ear for days, oh and you'll also have a wad of cash left.

+1

This is what I'm hoping too.
I've just got an active crossover so I can run my 2 x 10 with an hf horn on one channel and a T24 on the other (probably a 2 x 10 24" wide one) when I can find the time to build it.
Can't wait :)

Don't be nervous about building these. Bill's plans are really really clear and concise. I'd never done any woodwork beyond household DIY and putting up shleves before I built my O15TB.

You can see my effforts here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11971"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11971[/url]