Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

i suddenly feel the need to try a Fafner, does any one know where i can try one in the NW?

winterfire666

I dont really know why as i am happy with my rig but im feeling the urge to try out an EBS Fafner or Fafner II.
i would love to A/B one with my RH750 through my Barefaced S12T.
it may be just GAS but does anyone know where the might be one in a shop to try in the north west area?
i have dona a quick internet search and it comes up with nothing even close to local. i would be happy to make a day out of it though.

cheers!

:^)

yeah i have downloaded it but not tried it yet, there are some good bass profiles available but not many. and less that i would use live.
i love the HD350 though, great amp
i have been thinking about using my kemper live but i would prefere to have some more bass profiles first
ideally i would love a couple of great aguilar, ebs and mesa (400+) profiles, oh and maybe a sadowsky SA200 and i would be very happy indeed :^)

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1369834599' post='2093225']
yeah i have downloaded it but not tried it yet, there are some good bass profiles available but not many. and less that i would use live.
i love the HD350 though, great amp
i have been thinking about using my kemper live but i would prefere to have some more bass profiles first
ideally i would love a couple of great aguilar, ebs and mesa (400+) profiles, oh and maybe a sadowsky SA200 and i would be very happy indeed :^)
[/quote]

Buy from thomann, profile, "Don't like it, would like to return".

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1369834781' post='2093229']
Buy from thomann, profile, "Don't like it, would like to return".
[/quote]
This has crossed my mind, but i would have to sell the RH750 to fund such a scheme and i dont like the idea of putting all my eggs in one basket.
plus it doesnt seem right somehow.

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1369835449' post='2093243']
This has crossed my mind, but i would have to sell the RH750 to fund such a scheme and i dont like the idea of putting all my eggs in one basket.
plus it doesnt seem right somehow.
[/quote]

:lol: Hmmm.... bring it too a bass bash? :P

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1369840586' post='2093351']
I have one (mk I). Its pretty great.
[/quote]
yeah i have heard a lot about them, from what i have read i reckon a mk 1 is gonna do what i want perfectly, iv gotta try one out sooner or later :^)

Edited by winterfire666

I had this problem last year. All the retailers (well all 5 or 6) are in the South or Midlands. I tried the distributor, but they were most unhelpful and said that their Northern sales representative would look into it-they didn't and never replied. Maybe I shouldn't have asked why they had a Northern sales representative when they clearly had no outlets in the North!! Shame really when you are looking at the thick end of three and a half grand for a rig. The other thing that they stated was that I would get no after sales service if I didn't buy from an authorised dealer-bit of a moot point when it involves an 8 hour round journey to the nearest one. Went with Aguilar in the end (after hearing different set ups at the Northern Bass Bash) and haven't looked back.

[quote name='PJT' timestamp='1369843178' post='2093382']
Went with Aguilar in the end (after hearing different set ups at the Northern Bass Bash) and haven't looked back.
[/quote]

i have been curious about aguilar stuff too, i love the onboard preamps, which did you go for?

The AG 500 teamed with 2 x GS112s. The amp is simple and easy to get the sounds I want. The speakers are picked up in one hand. Chose the GS as they looked more likely to stand up to the knocks of constant gigging than the cloth fronted alternative (and they have a very convenient spring loaded handle), although the general concensus is that there is a slight difference in tonal value-think I'm too deaf to tell. Drummer and guitarist are particularly impressed with the sound of them.

Try giving Bernie Goodfellow a shout at [url="http://www.gbguitars.co.uk"]GB Guitars[/url] (ex distributor for EBS) - he may have an original Fafner that he could give you a deal on... maybe he'll send you one on approval or whatever. I don't know. Give him a shout and see what the score is.

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1369841692' post='2093365']
yeah i have heard a lot about them, from what i have read i reckon a mk 1 is gonna do what i want perfectly, iv gotta try one out sooner or later :^)
[/quote]

Well, if you happen to be up in Glasgow you are welcome to try it. It is a very flexible amp, though in my view it is not one of those 'leave everything flat/in the 12 o'clock position'. I find that I have to use the EQ a bit to get a sound I like, as opposed to something like an Ampeg SVT where I generally would leave everything 'as is'.

The mk II Fafner looks awesome though with the different options and switchable overdrive. A bit pricey and a bit too many knobs and options for me though