Why become a member? ×

NBD: Epiphone Allen Woody bass

grayn

Lovely bass, I did try one in Dawson's, Chester, a while back. Really good instrument and value for money.

However, my only reasons for not investing was that it could have done with a real set up and a clean (Dawsons and their half arsed attitude) and being a big lad, this wouldn't have looked so great on me :-/

This is a really under estimated bass, the quality is really incredible from the woods for sound, the hardware, electronics all the way to the binding used is just worth every penny.

Being a Gibson player I never appreciate Epiphone's but this was a game changer. Hope you enjoy this beauty :)

BSB

Cheers BSB.

My 2 nearest Dawsons are Leeds and Manchester. And they couldn't bre more opposite.
The Mancs branch are, as you say, very half arsed and pretty ignorant of their stock.
Leeds however, are really on the ball and helpful.

The Woody did have a lot of finger marks but they cleaned that up and to my surprise, the bass was set up really well already.
Thumbs up to the Leeds Dawsons and to Epiphone, for this rather tasty bass. :)

Amazing basses. I ordered one into our shop as I'd heard good things and the quality from the Epiphone custom shop is really great and the price is phenomenal! I was just about to buy it but someone beat me to it. The wait is about 6-12 months to reorder so I won't be getting one, as I can't hold onto bass funds that long lol!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='grayn' timestamp='1369544045' post='2090279']
Cheers BSB.

My 2 nearest Dawsons are Leeds and Manchester. And they couldn't bre more opposite.
The Mancs branch are, as you say, very half arsed and pretty ignorant of their stock.
Leeds however, are really on the ball and helpful.

The Woody did have a lot of finger marks but they cleaned that up and to my surprise, the bass was set up really well already.
Thumbs up to the Leeds Dawsons and to Epiphone, for this rather tasty bass. :)
[/quote]
I've heard the Manc store is pretty decent? The new Liverpool one looks awesome :)

My 'used to be local' Dawson's where Liverpool and Chester, being based on the Wirral at the time.
The Liverpool store staff where very pleasant and still are but majority of the basses they had in stock didn't fulfill my needs.
However Chester did but staff where hard to get hold of to get instruments down (I'm very polite ;)) and even then, the set ups where very poor it wasn't worth my time, the Woody I did try was ok by all means but being practically B Stock I'd rather have one new and preferably long scale ;)

Anyhow, off subject, how are you finding it now a few days on? I know quite a few people with shorties change to flat wounds. On the Gibson forum GSG said he got some D'addario's for his SG bass and said it sounded immense- different bass I know but strings can make a world of difference ;)

BSB

Cheers guys.

I may put flatwounds on, in the future. They certainly would complete the retro sound.

Here's my review: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/208599-the-epiphone-allen-woody-rumblekat-bass/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/208599-the-epiphone-allen-woody-rumblekat-bass/[/url]