Why become a member? ×

4 string B-E-A-D?

onehappybunny

During my latest bout of GAS I was thinking about either getting 5 stringer or maybe even just stringing a 4 string bass B-E-A-D ( as I don't tend to use the G string too much anyway...oooer missus!!)

Is the latter a really bad idea (i.e. likely to knacker the neck?) or would it just need some careful set up and truss rod adjustment.

Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks

Stu

The lower 4 strings of a 5 string set will have the same tension more or less as your normal 4 string set, still you may need a slight trussrod tweak, but nothing major.

You may need to widen the slots of the nut though as the strings will be between 0.01 and 0.03" bigger.

I've thought of doing this myself on a 35" scale 4-string i have, and as long as you put on some decent gauge strings i reckon it'll be fine.
I think it La Bella that make the "Low Rider" string sets, which are especially heavy 4-string sets for down-tuning. I'm gonna try a 1.15/1.05/.85/.65 set and see what happens.

[quote name='onehappybunny' post='22210' date='Jun 22 2007, 11:35 PM']During my latest bout of GAS I was thinking about either getting 5 stringer or maybe even just stringing a 4 string bass B-E-A-D ( as I don't tend to use the G string too much anyway...oooer missus!!)

Is the latter a really bad idea (i.e. likely to knacker the neck?) or would it just need some careful set up and truss rod adjustment.

Thanks

Stu[/quote]
I strung a fretless Warwick Corvette BEAD with LaBella Deep Talkin' strings and played it for a couple of years - I really enjoyed it. Warwick told me which Mk1 adjust-a-nut screw to replace, and sent me the replacement free. Meanwhile, I also worked on my technique on a 5-string fretted bass, and eventually upgraded to a 5-string fretless (also Warwick)

The bottom end definition on Corvettes means that they will work as EADG or BEAD no problem.

Hope this helps.

If it helps, Ive restrung my Ric B-E-A-D with no problems at all. Other than what others have said about re cutting the nut (I filed mine down with NUT files), the only other adjustment I needed to make was the intonation. Thats something else you'll need to do and is really easy to do.
Ive played a few (though not many) 5 strings before and after, but I just cant get on with the string spacing. Im sure Id get used to it eventually, and I know its not the neck because the Ric's neck is pretty chunky, and I actually prefer say the neck of a 5 string Stringray to a 4, but 4 strings just feels right to me.
Oh, and you've gotta keep reminding yourself that the lowest string isnt E anymore, four or five string! Even worse when the guitarists are drop B and Im 'standard' B...
Andy

EDIT: dumbass mistake on tool naming!!

Edited by MoJ

[quote name='onehappybunny' post='22210' date='Jun 22 2007, 11:35 PM']During my latest bout of GAS I was thinking about either getting 5 stringer or maybe even just stringing a 4 string bass B-E-A-D ( as I don't tend to use the G string too much anyway...oooer missus!!)

Thanks

Stu[/quote]

I asked something similar on the last incarnation of this site.

My MM Sub is now strung B-E-A-D with no probs, but I had to have the nut reshaped, and the B bridge saddle slightly grinded.

Edited by MacDaddy