Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

EBMM - Sledge (Tony Levin) ltd editions

cloudburst

Had the considerable pleasure today (since it was raining) to play two of the EBMM Sledge basses.

First up was the StingRay Classic. Sledge special flip finish with black scratchplate. Maple fingerboard. 2EQ.
Found it really playable. Great neck. Tried it with and without mutes. Good results both ways. Actually - it felt a fair bit better to play than my early 80's StingRay.

Next was the Sabre. Sledge special flip finish with black scratchplate. Maple fingerboard.
First thing I noticed was that it was a wee bit heavier.
Five way switch really made a difference.
Not quite as nice a feel to the neck as the Stingray.
The neck and headstock have more birdseye than Tescos freezers.

Sledge finish was okay - but won't be to everyone's taste. At £2250 and £2350 - they are mighty expensive!!!

Incidentally, after that, I picked up a Nate Mendel Precision and I have to say that, compared to the MusicMen, it felt pretty terrible. But I guess some folks would think the opposite. And, admittedly, it was a lot cheaper.

CB

Edited by cloudburst

[quote name='Lynottfan' timestamp='1368911583' post='2083043']
Lovely basses, with great finishes, so it would have to be scratch plates off, don't hide such beautiful work, its crazy imho.
[/quote]
Guess it would be interesting to see the effect of a clear scratch plate on this finish - refracting the sun to hit the flip paint at 2 different angles.

CB

Edited by cloudburst

Not at all keen on that Sledge finish myself . Just looks like an excuse to charge you a lot more money for what is essentially a grey finish that allegedly goes different colours ( big deal ) . Would love to try a new Sabre , though .

• 2 weeks later...