Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Roadstar II - anyone know much about them?

Greggo

Bit of thread from the dead but I have just got this bass back after lending it out for a year and did a quick recording of a bass line over one of my songs. What a great recorded bass tone it has! Cuts through really nicely and mellows nicely with the tone off but still retains enough mids.

Definitely a lovely line of basses from the 80s these!

I have an active and a passive (two actually) RB850. The key differences are:

- active vs passive electronics (obviously)
- the shape of the pickups, the active pickup has a groowed-out part on the short side (not as comfy to put the thumb on)
- exposed metal on the pickups on the passive
- passive has push pull pots for serial or parallel pickups (?), my active one does not
- passive has the pots in a straight line, active on a curve

Active version has a clearer sound, more mid and treble. Passive is more of a growl and a bit muted. Different but both good.

Edited by bjelkeman

[quote name='bjelkeman' timestamp='1414822879' post='2593622']
I have an active and a passive (two actually) RB850. The key differences are:

- active vs passive electronics (obviously)
- the shape of the pickups, the active pickup has a groowed-out part on the short side (not as comfy to put the thumb on)
- exposed metal on the pickups on the passive
- passive has push pull pots for serial or parallel pickups (?), my active one does not
- passive has the pots in a straight line, active on a curve

Active version has a clearer sound, more mid and treble. Passive is more of a growl and a bit muted. Different but both good.
[/quote]

I don't suppose you know the value of the pots in the active version do you? As mine had no wiring in I used a vvt wiring kit with 250 but don't know if this is sane as original. Volume tapers off too quickly so don't know if higher values needed to get bass close to original configuration.

Thanks mate, no worries if not as the bass does sound decent with what's in, gets something close to a p tone (but bit heavier) on neck pup so I'm happy!

Megallica just seen one of your threads with all the roadstar you own! That is some lovely collection of them! That passive version is particularly nice! Only thing I'm not so keen on mine is that the painted neck is a bit sticky.

Debating doing to it what I did to my squier tele and giving it a sanding with 1200 grit paper to make it more satin but worried it will make the finish pinky looking and ruin the look of the bass!

I sold my RB760 a few weeks ago to buy an RB720 I was looking for a 20 fret maple neck with a P bass tone.
The RB760 was really nice but it didn't offer anything that the RB950 and RB924 couldn't already do.
My RB850 is now defretted, sanded down and finished in a honey coloured wood stain.
I'm sure it's lost value because of this but it seems much more use so I'm not that bothered.

I've only got a limited time with the roadstar before I ultimately return it back to the rehearsal room I borrowed it from where I know the guy who runs it. Having played it a bit I remember now why after fixing it up and getting it working I "sub-lent" it out - I still prefer my yamaha bb and I don't have room for that many instruments in house! Only thing is I notice the person I lent it to has painted the bridge black (it was pretty grimy looking) but they've painted over the Allen key adjusters so the saddles cannot be moved! What's a good way of rectifying this before I send it back?

Edited by Greggo

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1415051721' post='2596218']
I've only got a limited time with the roadstar before I ultimately return it back to the rehearsal room I borrowed it from where I know the guy who runs it. Having played it a bit I remember now why after fixing it up and getting it working I "sub-lent" it out - I still prefer my yamaha bb and I don't have room for that many instruments in house! Only thing is I notice the person I lent it to has painted the bridge black (it was pretty grimy looking) but they've painted over the Allen key adjusters so the saddles cannot be moved! What's a good way of rectifying this before I send it back?
[/quote]

If you are sure it won't mess with the metal - paint stripper?

If you can get purchase in the hex nuts you may be able to work the saddle screw loose. If they're filled I'd guess . . . I don't know. Good luck!