Why become a member? ×

what to listern too

snap

ok guys just been looking on your tube and like this slap pop funk bass sound as a relative new comer to bass what should i be listern to and is there any where on the web that has lessons for that stlye ?????

Edited by snap

[quote name='snap' post='22175' date='Jun 22 2007, 10:40 PM']ok guys just been looking on your tube and like this slap pop funk bass sound as a relative new comer to bass what should i be listern to and is there any where on the web that has lessons for that stlye ?????[/quote]

Hi

For a good idea of what you can do, and some lessons have a look at [url="http://www.gazzbass.com/home.html"]Gazzbass[/url] A nice site to look around.

Hamster

Dont bother - the only people slapping now are bedroom players on you-tube, Level 42 and Flea.

If you really have to then check out Larry Graham, Stanley Clarke, some bloke called Miller and Kai Ekhart who is the only guy not reliving the 80's.

Edited by bass_ferret

[quote name='snap' post='22175' date='Jun 22 2007, 10:40 PM']ok guys just been looking on your tube and like this slap pop funk bass sound as a relative new comer to bass what should i be listern to and is there any where on the web that has lessons for that stlye ?????[/quote]

Does anyone know what language this is?

Hey Snap.

I for one don't think there's anything wrong with slap bass - There's plenty of funk bands around still using it just as there are bands using fingerstyle and pick. OK it might not be used in the charts much but most of the new pop music is either based on post-punk / indie (stuck in the 80s?) or computer generated / sequenced / sampled with no bass player at all. We live in recycled times more than ever.

Have a look for Bootsy Collins / funkadelic, Victor Wooten, Sly Stone (Larry Grahan on bass as mentioned above) - I'm sure you'll find more.

also here's some resources: [url="http://www.bassplace.com/fub.html"]http://www.bassplace.com/fub.html[/url]

Joe

[quote name='snap' post='22251' date='Jun 23 2007, 08:33 AM']thank you to the lads who have help me to the two pauls thanks for bringing my dyslexia to the attention of everyone thanks agian lads :) :huh: :huh: :huh: you will be plaesed to know i have spell check on[/quote]

agian? plaesed? oops.

Change that spell checker and best of luck with your bass slapping. :huh:

Edited by dazco

Slap is so much better when it's used as an occasional splash of colour rather than for entire songs... or even entire sets! [i]{remembers self back in '86 and hangs head in shame}[/i] :)
Throw in the occasional little slap accent or a quick snap here and there, and it gives the punters those nice little "WTF was that??" moments without edging into mullet/grey slip-ons territory.

[quote name='snap' post='22251' date='Jun 23 2007, 08:33 AM']thank you to the lads who have help me to the two pauls thanks for bringing my dyslexia to the attention of everyone thanks agian lads :) :huh: :huh: :huh: you will be plaesed to know i have spell check on[/quote]

Sorry about that snap. I wrongly assumed you were another illegible teen of the messenger/text generation.

My cousin has dyslexia and I've seen first hand what a mitch it can be when trying to teach him music. I know how far it goes beyond reading and spelling and I have a lot of respect for anyone that can cope with it well.