Why become a member? ×

Has anyone gone to the Leeds College of Music ?

ML94

Hi

I'm just interested to see who, if anyone from here has been to this music college. If so, what was your experiences like from the beginning ? So from filling in uni forms, auditions and the overall course.

Thanks for lookin !

I did the jazz BA and had a great experience. Zoltan Dekany is the main bass tutor and is an incredible player and teacher. Leeds is a fantastic city and the college has a great reputation for the degree courses.

....That said I think the standard of all the main colleges seems really high at the moment and if you have the right attitude you can have an incredible experience at most of them. Its all about getting stuck into as many bands as possible and getting the most from the college.
Good luck with the audition and let us know how you get on.

Edited by geoffbassist

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1368469342' post='2077485']
I did the jazz BA and had a great experience. Zoltan Dekany is the main bass tutor and is an incredible player and teacher. Leeds is a fantastic city and the college has a great reputation for the degree courses.

....That said I think the standard of all the main colleges seems really high at the moment and if you have the right attitude you can have an incredible experience at most of them. Its all about getting stuck into as many bands as possible and getting the most from the college.
Good luck with the audition and let us know how you get on.
[/quote]

my auditions won't be for a while, next year. I just wanted some guidance on what kind of peices they want to hear and what is the audition process like ? I'm looking to get into the pop and jazz course !

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1368471505' post='2077518']
You could try mailing Scott of Scottsbasslessons.com. He lives in Leeds. He's likely to know some folk in the area.
He's also a member on here.
[/quote]
Thanks , will do !

I started on the Music Production course back in 2006, switched the Popular Music BA after a semester. It was the best academic decision I've ever made.

I understand the college was in financial trouble a few years back, and there were rumours of various mergers (I heard Leeds Met, then Bradford Uni) which then fell through. However, the last I heard, they were saved by some very good sponsorship deals - I heard Steinway and Ableton helped them, maybe a few others too?

I also heard rumours that the three music undergraduate courses (pop, jazz and classical) were merged into one course - students could then choose modules in these areas. Don't know whether this is actually true, and I can't say which format would be preferable.

Anyway, regardless of the way things are working there right now, it'll be a great decision if you do decide to go there. I met some brilliant musicians, many of whom have continued to be great friends and colleagues. The city and the surrounding areas such as Headingley & Hyde Park are very much student-centric, so it's a vibrant place to be (except outside of term time - it's completely dead then!).

One final bit of advice: take all the opportunities you can manage. And take the course by the scruff of the neck - it doesn't guarantee anything afterwards. I refer to my BA as the most expensive piece of paper I ever bought.

Hope that made some kind of sense. ;)

[quote name='Huw Foster' timestamp='1368475839' post='2077596']
I started on the Music Production course back in 2006, switched the Popular Music BA after a semester. It was the best academic decision I've ever made.

I understand the college was in financial trouble a few years back, and there were rumours of various mergers (I heard Leeds Met, then Bradford Uni) which then fell through. However, the last I heard, they were saved by some very good sponsorship deals - I heard Steinway and Ableton helped them, maybe a few others too?

I also heard rumours that the three music undergraduate courses (pop, jazz and classical) were merged into one course - students could then choose modules in these areas. Don't know whether this is actually true, and I can't say which format would be preferable.

Anyway, regardless of the way things are working there right now, it'll be a great decision if you do decide to go there. I met some brilliant musicians, many of whom have continued to be great friends and colleagues. The city and the surrounding areas such as Headingley & Hyde Park are very much student-centric, so it's a vibrant place to be (except outside of term time - it's completely dead then!).

One final bit of advice: take all the opportunities you can manage. And take the course by the scruff of the neck - it doesn't guarantee anything afterwards. I refer to my BA as the most expensive piece of paper I ever bought.

Hope that made some kind of sense. ;)
[/quote]

thanks for the reply ? Btw, did you audition for a place when you decided to switch?

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1368478070' post='2077630']
did you audition for a place when you decided to switch?
[/quote]
I didn't actually - I discussed everything with the course leaders though, and they were already aware of my ability etc.

I went to Leeds University but my bass tutor for the performance modules was a bass tutor from Leeds College of music so I got exactly what I wanted. The academic degree that would support my PGCE application but also got to network and study bass with the tutors and other bass students from LCM. Both worked out well and I had the luxury of playing with LCM students from pop and jazz courses on sessions etc and they were always nice gig experiences. Leeds is a great city to learn to be a musician. Lots of opportunities both in Leeds and to get into other (ie London) scenes through tutors and peers. Also quite central for travelling to Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, York, Newcastle and London, all of which I would head off to in the train for gigs quite regularly (and easily!).

Go for it! It'll be fun :)

Did an elective music course for one term back in 1973 whilst studying at Leeds Poly...... It's a very vibrant city and used quite a few dep drummers from LCM when I lived up there 3 or 4 years ago. They are now in a purpose built building next to Leeds Playhouse.