Why become a member? ×

is this acceptable

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1368191277' post='2074291']
is it ok to use your index finger to fret a note then using it to bar the other strings so you arent using the pad of the finger but the whole finger instead?

[/quote]

Only you can be the judge of that, who else is even caring?

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1368353477' post='2075918']
Only you can be the judge of that, who else is even caring?
[/quote]

This is a bit harsh IMO. Strictly speaking this could be the stock answer to every question ever asked by a beginner.

The OP asked a genuine question. It does not matter who else cares. He obviously cares enough to ask. That's all that matters.

As you went to the bother of posting, you could have been a little more constructive with your answer.

I certainly hope that you dont teach. ;)

Edited by Coilte

I have tried this fingering the root with my index finger and the octave octave with my ring finger and I can get up to speed this way using the pad of my index on both the root and the seventh ( is it the seventh? not even sure about that ) . I have the fourth longest fingers in the UK so using the one finger one fret method even low down the neck is OK for me. Funny though how I can do it that way and not my pinky. Cheers for all your responses except for Twigman who is mean

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1368357815' post='2076000']
I have tried this fingering the root with my index finger and the octave octave with my ring finger and I can get up to speed this way using the pad of my index on both the root and the seventh ( is it the seventh? not even sure about that ) . I have the fourth longest fingers in the UK so using the one finger one fret method even low down the neck is OK for me. Funny though how I can do it that way and not my pinky. Cheers for all your responses except for Twigman who is mean
[/quote]It still sounds more likely to me that he is pedalling the open string and playing the riff along that string rather than across the neck & different strings, which would be a far easier way to do things

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1368363468' post='2076081']
It still sounds more likely to me that he is pedalling the open string and playing the riff along that string rather than across the neck & different strings, which would be a far easier way to do things
[/quote]
Well the part in question is played C on the A string then its octave on the G string back down to C on the A and then the part I struggled with a quick leap to F on the G string hammer onto C on the G string so I am unsure how I could play this part with open strings

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1368381595' post='2076342']
Sorry , didnt see that post earlier. Yes its played at the tenth and twelvth fret with open strings to give the octave. There are loads of tuition videos on you tube
[/quote]
Really iceonaboy? Its the chorus I am talking about and even the embedded video on this thread shows him playing it the way I describe. I understand the main riffs are played higher up the neck but the part I mean is about one minute five seconds into the piece and looking at the guy on the video he plays it further down the neck at C on the A string

Edited by norvegicusbass

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1368365493' post='2076112']
Well the part in question is played C on the A string then its octave on the G string back down to C on the A and then the part I struggled with a quick leap to F on the G string hammer onto C on the G string so I am unsure how I could play this part with open strings
[/quote]Fair enough obviously didn't watch it long enough to notice or realise which bit you're talking about. Like I say I've not played it so what would I know :rolleyes: dumbass exits stage left :blush:

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1368389380' post='2076528']
Loving all this sage advice from people who haven't a clue about the passage in question... :D
[/quote]

That was obviously my fault. Yeah sorry folks I meant the chorus bit which begins on C of the A string. By the way what does pedalling mean? Someone mentioned it earlier