Why become a member? ×

Replacing a nut? Charging string gauges

Graham

For the last few years my G&L has been tuned down to BEAD, I've been thinking about putting it back in standard or maybe DACF for a while and when I broke the top string last night it 's pretty much forced the issue.

I'm assuming I'll need a new nut as the guitar shop who set it up for me in B will almost certainly have filled down the old one to accommodate the heavier strings; so my questions are:

How easy is it to do this?

Where can I get a nut from? Perhaps a decent bone or graphite one rather than the rather cheap looking plastic one that's currently there

How much should I be looking at for said new nut?

Thanks guys, I'll be looking on YouTube for how to videos, but there's such a wealth of information here I thought it'd be a good place to start.

I should add that although I've been playing for over 10 years I am a novice at set-ups so I thought this might be a good one to learn how to do some bits as I should need to change the strings, nut, truss rod (that's for another thread), action and intonation - anything I've misaed?

Cheers

If you're a novice at set ups I would definitely take this (one of the most skill based parts of a setup and a dying art) to a GOOD guitar tech / luthier.
You can get a Tusq nut from Allparts, they are pretty good synthetic bone, lots of sizes available.
As for fitting and even removing the old one, much will depend on your bass. You can get ones that are pre-grooved, but you will still need to file down the bottom to get the nut to fit. The trick is to get the string height just right. Slightly too high and the first couple of frets will be really hard work to play, slightly too low and you'll be buzzing like a bee! Like i said, go to a luthier, get it done properly - it's worth it.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1368184476' post='2074145']
But how did the luthier/tech learn how to do it?
[/quote]

By making mistakes and that's why Graham should take it to a luthier if he doesn't know how to do it. :)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1368185337' post='2074160']
By making mistakes and that's why Graham should take it to a luthier if he doesn't know how to do it. :)
[/quote]

I was aiming for the positive aspects of "having a go" rather than dwelling on the (often necessary) negative aspects of the learning process :)

Hmmmm, I am up for having a go but I might see what my local guitar shop will charge to do it, they have a luthier and I trust them to do a decent job (part of the reason I'm so in-exerienced at set-ups)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1368186378' post='2074186']
I was aiming for the positive aspects of "having a go" rather than dwelling on the (often necessary) negative aspects of the learning process :)
[/quote]

Ah. My mistake. :ph34r:

I try to do as much of my own setting up as I can. When it comes to nuts though I have no experience so it's off to a luthier. I don't have the files either and for the number of times I needed a nut altered (once) it seems easier to take it to Chris McIntyre.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1368184476' post='2074145']
But how did the luthier/tech learn how to do it?
[/quote]

Well said :)

For the price most luthiers would charge you could probably buy 5 or more graphtech nuts!

I say have a go! What's the worst thing that could happen? :)

Buy a spare one just in case but if you're careful you may get it right first time, save your self some cash and learn a new skill :)

:)