Why become a member? ×

12AX7/ECC83 Production Valve tests

geoffbyrne

I've pointed the board to articles & tests posted by Myles Rose in the US before. Myles is a genuine expert in this field & has developed testing hardware & systems adopted by the rest of the industry.

He now works independently & has his own web site. You can directly ask him a question via this address (You'll need to enrol on the forum):

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/1351234/Feel_free_to_ask_Myles#Post1351234

He has recently tested a shedload of the standard 12AX7/ECC83 types on sale in the US (& since they all tend to come from one of only a few producers, here also). The results he has posted here: http://la-economy.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/current-production-12ax7-tubes-ten-of.html

I leave you to form your own opinions.

G.

Gain factor of 100 is different thing to 100%, 100% wouldn't be very much. Basic valve testers aren't super expensive, come up fairly often, I ahve a spare one, only not stuck it up for sale because I have one I'm used to using and two with better features, but I'm not familiar with, not committed settings for common valves to memory etc. They'll tell you if the valve is basically right, and amp plus ears should do the rest.

I think Myles used to work with/for Groove Tubes but then fell out with them when they were bought over & packed up all his custom gear & made off on his own.

He was working for them when I queried him about stuff for a Laney 30W valve amp & put me onto a guy in their (Groove) British operation from whom I got very good service. He now recommends Watford Valves in the UK (but not necessarily the cryogenic range - I think he says the treatment makes them more brittle & likely to break).

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

• 5 weeks later...