Why become a member? ×

Do amps suffer from vibration?

phsycoandy

I was thinking the other day as i was wacking out some tones, that the poor old amp stuck straight on the top of the cabs is getting all that vibration, u know how much i mean when u sit on the cab and play, and whether its doing any harm to the internal gubbinses and what can we do about it.

I have considered this also.
Acoustic feedback ought to be an issue. It is detectable in HiFi systems, hence some of the stands and strange objects sold to help counter this.
It really doesn't seem to affect musical equipment amplifiers, though.
It might be worth isolating an all-valve head if it's causing the tubes to vibrate unduly... Doesn't some Ampeg gear benefit from stuffing foam in the cups on top of the cabs and standing the amps on that?
In studios, when recording, I just take the head off of the cabinets and stand it on the floor behind!

Combo owners are a bit stuck, mind you.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='210518' date='Jun 1 2008, 02:18 PM']Doesn't some Ampeg gear benefit from stuffing foam in the cups on top of the cabs and standing the amps on that?[/quote]
That's a good idea and I might try it, although I've never been too worried about vibrations causing any damage to amps/valves. If it was an issue then I’d guess that older amps such as the Ampeg "Classic" all tube heads from the 70's would have shown the most damage so I presume that Ampeg (as well as other manufacturers) would have included design features on newer amps to combat this. Seeing as they haven’t then I’d presume that it’s not a huge deal.

Edited by benwhiteuk

You can get rack cases where the rack has some sort of suspension. But yes, hifi buffs can go to great lengths to isolate electronics and speakers but that has gone to rat sh*t with the advent of surround sound and centre speakers that live on the same racks.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='210534' date='Jun 1 2008, 02:44 PM']You can get rack cases where the rack has some sort of suspension. But yes, hifi buffs can go to great lengths to isolate electronics and speakers but that has gone to rat sh*t with the advent of surround sound and centre speakers that live on the same racks.[/quote]
Which is why all my stuff (HiFi- wise) is still determinedly "2.0" and doesn't share a room with a TV either!!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='210690' date='Jun 1 2008, 07:09 PM']Which is why all my stuff (HiFi- wise) is still determinedly "2.0" and doesn't share a room with a TV either!![/quote]Amen. My HiFi is 2.0 and always will be. 5.1 hasn't caught on for music, as it's sh*t.
I bought an SACD player about 4 years ago and only use it in stereo, although, Roger Waters' "Perfect Sense" sounds ok. :)

I sit my rack box on some sponge workshop tiles to damp some of the vibration, inspired by vibration damping foam, but not as eye-wateringly expensive :)

(the cabs were a cheap option, but sound great :huh: )

Edited by Paul_C

Solder is pretty brittle when it ages and can suffer hairline cracking. (In a lot of aircraft solderless wire-wrapping was used due to vibration problems). Big components like caps are usually glued and/or strapped as their movement caused by sound and transport shocks can stress solder joints if that's the only fixing.