Why become a member? ×

Not a dead spot, but similar...

WarrenD

Hi chaps/chapettes, I'm experiencing a problem with one of my acoustic basses. The 9th and 14th frets when played on the D string buzz severely. In fact, the 14th fret has become so bad the note is one semitone sharp. If I press very hard the correct note comes out. The fretboard below the 18th fret curves towards the body quite a lot. This is something I noticed recently. A few facts: I changed strings recently. D'Addario phosphor bronze .45 .65 .85 .105. Gremlin aboutic bass, fretted (of course). Can anyone advise me on how this may be fixed? I can provide photos if required.

Try another set of strings. I was recently fooled by a faulty new string (first ever in 40+ years bass playing). Could not get G string to intonate and tune correctly. It was a duff string. If the string does not fix your problem, take bass to a good luthier. Good luck.

Edited by 3below

Hey :)

To me it sounds like a high fret! Sometimes they pop out slightly due to changes in weather / humidity etc.

Do you have something small with a straight edge on it? Like a stanley knife blade? If so use this to rest over THREE frets at a time (14th, 15th and 16th) if i'm right the blade will rock a little, pivoting on the high spot of the 15th fret.

If it doesn't rock at all i'd also suggest trying a different set of strings, there may be a slight kink / bend in it causing it to sit too low at that point.

Please let me know how you get on!

:)

Thanks for your responses. The change in strings was an attempt to eliminate the problem. I had .40 .56 .76. 96 on before. Now .45 .65. 80 .105. I will test the various suggestions; truss rod and fret levels and report!

Well, some improvement has been achieved by truss rod adaptation to bring the neck forward (concave bow). The 9th fret sounds just about normal, the 14th needs more work.
I'll continue with this as at seems I over-adjusted the neck a while back, slowly forcing the neck to bow at the bottom.

Sounds like a high fret, but it's hard to tell without seeing it. A way to check would be to get a length of flat steel that you can be certain has a flat, straight edge on it, and set it on the fretboard where the D string would go. If you see a gap between the 14th fret and the steel bar, the 15th fret is likely raised a bit. You might also see a gap on the frets after the 15th, but because when you are playing a fret 15th or higher, you essentially eliminate that high fret. The 4th fret was probably just down to bad truss rod adjustment.