Why become a member? ×

New KIT RICHARDSON EP 'Love Songs in Age' now available.

xilddx

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1367319338' post='2064058']
I really enjoyed The Settle,great arrangement. Private Universe is an outstanding cover. In fact, I love them all. I wish you would get t'up north with some gigs, I'd love to see you live.
[/quote]

Cheers man, I'm probably going to organise some dates outside of London, the band are up for it.

Nx

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1367319480' post='2064059']
I really enjoyed that! Had a listen on the Soundcloud link yesterday. The cover of Private Universe is a superb arrangement, and her own songs are really nice as well. Great stuff.
[/quote]

Thanks man!

Right… I've had a listen now. F-ing brilliant! Really.

Trust is probably my 'stand out' track on the EP. If I heard it on the radio for the first time, I'd immediately want to to know who was behind it and would end up humming it all day. It's [i]that[/i] good in my opinion. A beautifully crafted song; very striking and memorable; credible but also 'accessible' (? - struggling for the right word there). To put it another way: it's the sort of song I'd love to hear doing well in the charts - akin to the likes of Ellie Goulding, Laura Mvula and co. Not in terms of how it sounds, but because it represents what's great about good pop music. And I like good pop music :)

The Settle, How to Breathe and Private Universe also great. Very clever - and in places very sad - lyrics that clearly have a lot of emotion and thought behind them. And Kit's voice is something else (Mrs Skol still thinks she sounds like a young Kate Bush - that's a compliment, of course!).

The whole EP hangs together well and has a strong sense of identity. They're unmistakably 'Kit Richardson' tracks - not just in terms of that very distinctive vocal, but the instrumentation too. All tightly played and nothing fighting for attention. Although there's something about the bass sound… something strangely 'silky' about it!? :P :D

Production-wise I can't offer much in the way of constructive criticism. The mix sounds great! Pro quality. I've only listened on cans so far - too late to play it loud tonight, but I'll enjoy doing so over the weekend.

In short: I love it Nige. Hugely chuffed for you mate. I'd be astonishingly proud of something like this. Now get yourselves up North so I can experience it live!!

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1367356993' post='2064746']
Right… I've had a listen now. F-ing brilliant! Really.

Trust is probably my 'stand out' track on the EP. If I heard it on the radio for the first time, I'd immediately want to to know who was behind it and would end up humming it all day. It's [i]that[/i] good in my opinion. A beautifully crafted song; very striking and memorable; credible but also 'accessible' (? - struggling for the right word there). To put it another way: it's the sort of song I'd love to hear doing well in the charts - akin to the likes of Ellie Goulding, Laura Mvula and co. Not in terms of how it sounds, but because it represents what's great about good pop music. And I like good pop music :)

The Settle, How to Breathe and Private Universe also great. Very clever - and in places very sad - lyrics that clearly have a lot of emotion and thought behind them. And Kit's voice is something else (Mrs Skol still thinks she sounds like a young Kate Bush - that's a compliment, of course!).

The whole EP hangs together well and has a strong sense of identity. They're unmistakably 'Kit Richardson' tracks - not just in terms of that very distinctive vocal, but the instrumentation too. All tightly played and nothing fighting for attention. Although there's something about the bass sound… something strangely 'silky' about it!? :P :D

Production-wise I can't offer much in the way of constructive criticism. The mix sounds great! Pro quality. I've only listened on cans so far - too late to play it loud tonight, but I'll enjoy doing so over the weekend.

In short: I love it Nige. Hugely chuffed for you mate. I'd be astonishingly proud of something like this. Now get yourselves up North so I can experience it live!!
[/quote]

Bloody Nora! What a lovely, lovely review, Paul! Thank you! We were talking about Manchester and Nottingham so hopefully we'll get there before the year's out!

The Settle is the only track with bass guitar on, glove silkiness :) The others are Kit's bass synth, it was easier and they are silky repetitive lines that benefit from that synthy vibe. I've replicated the pulse bass on PU with the POD, and Trust is much livelier on stage, I rock out on that one with a Chris Squire sort of tone.

That's great you think the EP has identity, I'm delighted about that as the numbers are quite diverse. Kit is always deeply humbled by the KB comparisons mate, even though she's not an influence.

Paul, thanks again mate, it's so lovely you like it so much. x

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1367359746' post='2064804']Paul, thanks again mate, it's so lovely you like it so much. x[/quote]

No worries, bud. I'm always happy to support fellow BC'ers, but in this instance I didn't need to try being helpful or encouraging - it's just a rollockingly good EP. The sort of music that used to make my job worthwhile when I was a music journo.

Bask in the glory. Get out there and shout about it. And get your collective arses Northwards! ;)

Bought! just wonderful, i bought the last EP a while ago having found it through your Signature, got a very nice Email from Kit and a personalised message on the CD sleeve. this one sounds even better!

Please come up to Newcastle and play a gig, i promise to bring all my friends along!

Matt

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1367407365' post='2065181']
Bought! just wonderful, i bought the last EP a while ago having found it through your Signature, got a very nice Email from Kit and a personalised message on the CD sleeve. this one sounds even better!

Please come up to Newcastle and play a gig, i promise to bring all my friends along!

Matt
[/quote]

Matt, this is great to hear, thank you mate! I hope it brings you musical joy :) Thanks again x

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1367361304' post='2064827']
No worries, bud. I'm always happy to support fellow BC'ers, but in this instance I didn't need to try being helpful or encouraging - it's just a rollockingly good EP. The sort of music that used to make my job worthwhile when I was a music journo.

Bask in the glory. Get out there and shout about it. And get your collective arses Northwards! ;)
[/quote]

You're very kind, Paul, really appreciate it, mate. Cheers x

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have to pay royalties for recording covers? I ask as we make a concious decision to only record original material when in the studio. That having been said I probably wouldn't want to record a cover in any case, I don't enjoy playing them at gigs too much either. Sadly they seem to be increasingly necessary in pubs and clubs.

Will give the recording a listen at the weekend. The previously advertised PH song was nicely done I thought.

Edited by ead

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1369380507' post='2088463']
Do you have to pay royalties for recording covers? I ask as we make a concious decision to only record original material when in the studio. That having been said I probably wouldn't want to record a cover in any case, I don't enjoy playing them at gigs too much either. Sadly they seem to be increasingly necessary in pubs and clubs.

Will give the recording a listen at the weekend. The previously advertised PH song was nicely done I thought.
[/quote]

You know, I'm really not sure what the implications are, but I'm sure some payments will need to be made.

Cheers.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1369514596' post='2090077']
Like the video Nige :) P*ss funny in places - the opening lines by Kit genuinely made me LOL.

And the band as a whole seem like a good bunch. I can see why you love being a part of this!
[/quote]

Cheers mate :D The band really are all very lovely people :)

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1369429438' post='2089309']
Really enjoyed my first listen, especially the Private universe and trust tracks for me. I went to a Nick seymour masterclass last year, very interesting and a cool guy.

Be great if you had a couple of 7" pressed.
[/quote]

Thanks man, that's great to hear! Vinyl would be so cool, but financially unviable at the moment. What was the masterclass about? Production?