Why become a member? ×

Do precisions really work in any music?

bassist_lewis

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1367311458' post='2063914']
The original question there at the top of your browser window says: "Do precisions really work in any music?" and as has been demonstrated in the course of this thread there are plenty of pieces of music that have absolutely no place of an electric stringed bass instrument of any kind, whether it's a Precision or any other bass guitar. Therefore the answer is most definitely "NO".

[/Thread]
[/quote]

I think you are a little pedantic here in so much as it is reasonable to presume that the o.p means in music where a bass guitar is appropriate and present . As I have already pointed out to you , [i]in music where no bass guitar is present all models and makes of bass will sound approximately the same ![/i] But returning to that original hypothesis , will a Precision work ? In most cases , yes . Will it be the best choice or at least a good choice ? Quite often , depending on your taste . Always the best choice ? No , that would be silly . So , essentially then , a Precision Bass is another very good and very useful choice amongst many choices available .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1367311339' post='2063913']
That sounds like a Fender bass strength and not a weakness.

So, which luthiers are making instruments that are difficult to play?
[/quote]

The point here is that some instruments are better suited to players striving to play more complex music which demands a more technical approach, and thus demand more response/playability from their instruments. People may scoff and say that's not proper music and the bass player's job is to sit in the background and perform a specific function - that view is rather narrow minded - could be described as PJ (pre Jaco!!).

Some people are not looking for a vintage 60s sound (whatever that may be), and some people are not content to thump away at root and fifth country and western.

I'm afraid that threads like this do display a narrow minded approach to music - there are quite a lot of areas where a P bass would not give the best result - there are some where it will.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1367350602' post='2064610']
The point here is that some instruments are better suited to players striving to play more complex music which demands a more technical approach, and thus demand more response/playability from their instruments. People may scoff and say that's not proper music and the bass player's job is to sit in the background and perform a specific function - that view is rather narrow minded - could be described as PJ (pre Jaco!!).

Some people are not looking for a vintage 60s sound (whatever that may be), and some people are not content to thump away at root and fifth country and western.

[b]I'm afraid that threads like this do display a narrow minded approach to music[/b] - there are quite a lot of areas where a P bass would not give the best result - there are some where it will.
[/quote]

Like those people that think a Precision is only good for vintage 60s sounds and root-and-fifth-thumping Country and Western for example? :yarr:

Edited by D.I. Joe

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1367352468' post='2064650']
Like those people that think a Precision is only good for vintage 60s sounds and root-and-fifth-thumping Country and Western for example? :yarr:
[/quote]

They were intended to be examples of stereotypes, not an exhaustive list ;) I missed out Beach Boys tribute bands amongst a host of others, for instance (although I did notice that the guy in the real Beach Boys played a Lakland when I saw them!)

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1367265719' post='2063495']
... Stanley for dropping his upright at Birmingham Town Hall, and the neck breaking off - and then announcing to the audience that it's OK cos he has another back home :( about 1976!!
[/quote]
I think I may have been at that gig. Although it's all slightly vague at this distance in time.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1367350602' post='2064610']
... People may scoff and say that's not proper music and the bass player's job is to sit in the background and perform a specific function - that view is rather narrow minded - could be described as PJ (pre Jaco!!).
[/quote]
... or pre Jerry Jemmott or pre James Jamerson or pre Jimmy Blanton etc.