Why become a member? ×

Calling all Slayer fans

Jobiebass

Ive been into Slayer for years and years, And they are THE only metal band I listen to now-a-days. When I first picked up a bass I wanted to play Slayer stuff and Doors stuff, only to find out Slayer stuff was far too fast for me and The doors didnt have a bassist on 90% of their songs.

Anyways...

Back when I used to play with a pick I couldnt play anything by slayer because of the speed and I was only doing down strokes. Havent tried to play any slayer stuff since.

To save looking thru 100's of tabs, Which Slayer songs are worth learning?? I know the magority of them have a lot of open notes, im looking for some which are more tech.

Id prefer stuff from these albums,
God hates Us all,
Reign in Blood,
Seasons in the Abyss,
South Of Heaven,

Thanks in advance

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='209534' date='May 30 2008, 11:56 AM']Ive been into Slayer for years and years, And they are THE only metal band I listen to now-a-days. When I first picked up a bass I wanted to play Slayer stuff and Doors stuff, only to find out Slayer stuff was far too fast for me and The doors didnt have a bassist on 90% of their songs.

Anyways...

Back when I used to play with a pick I couldnt play anything by slayer because of the speed and I was only doing down strokes. Havent tried to play any slayer stuff since.

To save looking thru 100's of tabs, Which Slayer songs are worth learning?? I know the magority of them have a lot of open notes, im looking for some which are more tech.

Id prefer stuff from these albums,
God hates Us all,
Reign in Blood,
Seasons in the Abyss,
South Of Heaven,

Thanks in advance[/quote]

When in my former thrash band I used to practice Angel of Death, Necrophobic (stupid fast but very simple) and Ghosts of War - you can get the tabs for each off the web

You could even learn them on a Tom Araya bass which I happen to be selling on this Forum (worth a try!):
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=17664&hl=slayer"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...4&hl=slayer[/url]

I played (and sang) Mandatory Suicide in a band for a while - that's a pretty good one. Araya is not the best bassist out there and the bass never gets much prominence in the mix, but I still wanted to be him for years. That ESP bass is fabulous by the way.

[quote name='Basszilla' post='209564' date='May 30 2008, 12:57 PM']It's gonna have to be south of heaven or hell awaits![/quote]

These two are good suggestions - not insanely fast, but very satsifying to play.

Angel of Death is the classic track, but I recall that being pretty fast - though not un-playably so.