Why become a member? ×

Squier Affinity Telecaster

Hobbayne

Anyone know where these are made? I had a go on this earlier today and loved it! Well put together with excellent sound and a neck straight as a die. I thought they were Chinese but I,m sure this was Indonesian.
[url="http://www.petercooksguitars.co.uk/catalog/squier-affinity-telecaster-butterscotch-blonde-p-503.html"]http://www.petercooksguitars.co.uk/catalog/squier-affinity-telecaster-butterscotch-blonde-p-503.html[/url]

I had one which was made in 1996 and it was made in China. I only got it as it was packaged with an amp and the seller would split them. I'd intended to to sell it on straight away but ended up keeping it for years - it played very nicely indeed. I found the pickups were quite shrill on that one, though I wouldn't be surprised if they've made changes on the newer ones.

If it's an Affinity then I believe they still have a black decal that reads 'Squier Tele' rather than the gold and black 'Squier Telecaster' logo on the CV, so that would be the easiest way to tell which model it is. The Affinitys usually have a really thin, pale finish on the neck, like a Might Mite neck, whereas the CVs have a tinted laquer, so there's more contrast between thecolour of the neck and body on the Affinity.

Affinity range moved from china to Indonesia around the year 2000. The newer ones have thinner bodies and I believe have a top loader bridge rather than string through (may have changed that recently).
Had a Chinese affinity tele from 96. Miss it actually.

here's a photo of it. It has the black and gold Squier logo. Actually plays very well.
I also got a little Stagg 10w practice amp to plug it into for next to nothing.
Trying to learn a little bit of lead on it.
Its really not as hard as I thought it would be. If you know scales and chord tones it makes a lot of sense.
I,m at the moment working out the lead guitar run down by George Harrison during the verses on The Beatles 'Dont Let Me Down'

• 9 months later...

You have the 22 fret Affinity, which means it should also be a string-through and have a "cup" jack (instead of a plate). If so, it is from a starter pack, and probably Indonesian.

Which means that it is probably a jewel of a Squier. I just got one last week, intending to use it as a platform for future modifications. But I'm so happy with it that all I've done so far is to put steel saddles on it. And I do plan to put better pots in it, just as soon as they get here. (I just can't decide between a no-load or a TBX for the tone.)

Edited by thebird55