Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fretting a Double Bass

Owen

Yes, I know that it is not a concept which immeadiately springs to mind, but being a DB player I really like the facilty my right hand has over an arched fingerboard. I have an old DB neck complete with fingerboard which I could easily (hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!) knock up into an EUB thing. Would fretting a curved fingerboard be do-able as a retro fit job. NS design do one so it is do-able but who would undertake such a job?

Is this my stupidest idea yet?

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1364470269' post='2026854']
Yes, I know that it is not a concept which immeadiately springs to mind, but being a DB player I really like the facilty my right hand has over an arched fingerboard. I have an old DB neck complete with fingerboard which I could easily (hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!) knock up into an EUB thing. Would fretting a curved fingerboard be do-able as a retro fit job. NS design do one so it is do-able but who would undertake such a job?

Is this my stupidest idea yet?
[/quote]

yes, probably ;)

when you come to your senses and decide you can't be arsed, I might well be interested in buying the neck off you tho'

I have an NS eub which gets an innordinate amount of love from sound engineers every time I drag it out. I would happily buy a 6 string one to do the bottom F# thing if I could see if the fretted thing worked.

I had reached the stage of a new nut and would probably need individual bridge pieces for the radius. What I am thinking of would be getting newtone strigns to wind me a set of 41" roundwounds. I'm not sure the gut frets would last too long. Of course this would be an expensive experiment which might not be "all that" in the end!