Why become a member? ×

Amps' default sound?

Roland Rock

It isn't down to brand, its down to design, lots of amps use same design in parts, but within a brand they tend away from doing the same amp lots of times (with some exceptions) because there isn't much point. Its kind of common to follow a theme, but there are usually models that totally break it. I have an Orange combo that is a Fender Twin clone, everyone keeps asking if it has a combination of the Orange and Fender tones, because it is coloured Orange. Fairly sure a lot of them will 'hear' it too. Being able to spot tone stack styles is probably the first place to go, the Fender style 3 band valve preamp is very common, Hartke LH series, Oranges with 3 band preamps, Marshalls to an extent, and the Trace V-types all use this.

Cheers for that. So, concentrating on models, rather than brands, I've heard you say that the OTB is naturally scooped. I've also read that the Matamp GT200 is 'all about the low mids'. This is the kind of thing I'm interested in.
Are these commonly held ideas, or is it a lot more subjective than that?

[size=5][sup]I find the very best amps have very little EQ..or need litttle EQ so you might want tio decide whether you like the sound of your bass or need to change it.[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]This is, of course the wrong fight to get into. IMO.[/sup][/size]

[size=5][sup]The best amps tend to have substantial output stages, IMO..like the DB750's and the SVT and Mesa All valve jobs.but you wont find killer EQ on the[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]these amps as they don't need it. Simple dials will suffice..[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]How much on a tone colour do you really want..?[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]For me, if the basses sounded bad thru one of those amps..the bass would have to go...[/sup][/size]

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1364394110' post='2025832']
[size=5][sup]I find the very best amps have very little EQ..or need litttle EQ so you might want tio decide whether you like the sound of your bass or need to change it.[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]This is, of course the wrong fight to get into. IMO.[/sup][/size]

[size=5][sup]The best amps tend to have substantial output stages, IMO..like the DB750's and the SVT and Mesa All valve jobs.but you wont find killer EQ on the[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]these amps as they don't need it. Simple dials will suffice..[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]How much on a tone colour do you really want..?[/sup][/size]
[size=5][sup]For me, if the basses sounded bad thru one of those amps..the bass would have to go...[/sup][/size]
[/quote]

Thanks, makes sense. I'm not actually after an amp, just trying to learn more. I don't like a scooped sound at all, so was curious what 'naturally scooped' amps there were out there so that I can avoid them, or bring my own amp when gear sharing.

The OTB is an example. I've heard lots of people rave about them, but when I used one belonging to another band, I disliked the tone (I was too polite to tweak the eq too much, but they seemed in an ok position). Then I read on BC that the OTB is very light on the mids. Made sense.

Another observation, made by a noob, mind:

I found the Ashdown Mag 300 EVO II paired with the MAG 410 to sound woolly and "characterless", and after some time decided it sounded indifferent. The EQ needed quite some know turning, but did have good possibilities.

The Little Bastard on the other hand, does not sound woolly to me through a pair of LB-112 cabs. Defined, but with a clearly rounded top without it getting dull. The EQ section's switches are quite good for defining a sound type.

Both Ashdowns from the same era. While I dislike one, I love the other.
BTW, had them both at the same time, and played an eclectic range of basses through them.

More experienced people may disagree.

best,
bert