Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My First Musical

bassist_lewis

hello BC

I've just got involved in a production of Whistle Down the Wind! I've been playing through the score most of today and will be doing so again tomorrow and have been listening to the cast recording (though it doesn't seem to be exactly the same as my score).

What I'm asking for is any advice on playing in a musical. I'd like to make a good impression so that I might get work in the future.

thanks

Are you a good reader?
You have to make sure that there are NO symbols in the chart you don't understand. If you have any doubt, ask a collegue - pianist, guitarist about that. What you don't want to miss is repeats, coda's, etc...
Don't rely on the recording - as you've already spotted, recordings differ from the charts. You have to be able to read it on the fly, don't try to learn the score via the recording..
If you really want to get into reading (as it's a study in itself - it's not about just reading tons of dots, mind you...), check out Joe Hubbard's "Sight Reading Compendium For Electric Bass".
I have seen anything that goes even near to that book on the market so far...
That book won't teach you how to Do it over-night, but you might get a few good tips on reading.

Take care,
Laimis

Musicals are really fun and full of the 'narrative style' of music which makes its own unique demands on musicians. You have to really pay attention to what the actors are doing ...just as if they are fellow band members.

The band underpins and heightens the drama ( obviously! ) and so you have to know everything about the musical - inside and out ....learning the dots if fine but not enough to carry off a good stage show! Be ready for anything - whilst you are in control of what you play , you are not in control of what happens on stage - such as an actor leaving out a huge chunk of lines and suddenly cutting to a different scene that you thought was about 5 minutes away !

Best way to make an impression at a show is to expect the unexpected and take it in your strid. Usually every show has something to talk about afterwards ( you can't control how much actors have or haven't rehearsed their lines :facepalm: , what they might have gotten up to to calm their nerves :gas: , whether there is a prop or set malfunction like a door not opening :dash1: ....youve just got to be one of the cool guys in the band that saves the day!

Good luck with it - great fun ! BTW are you in an orchestra pit or in a hall ?

Been 23 years since I last did a musical..... Fiddler on the roof, when I was an oboeist..... And I agree, the biggest issue is when things on stage do not go as planned.... Rely completely on your conductor.

When I did musicals it was incredible fun but very hard work! Enjoy it :D

All eyes and ears.
Keep your Eyes on the MD at all times,
He is the one following the cast [or them him]
If any thing goes tits up on stage [a pro show, this happens very little - AM Dram more so] follow the MD,
He is the focal point for both cast and Band/Orchestra.

Above all, be ready, rehearsed and relaxed - Enjoy !

Garry

Edited by lowdown

This has sent me down memory lane :D

Orchestra pit aged 14 and 15, joint youngest in the orchestra (with a trumpeter that plays professionally now).

Even though I was underage had some rather heavy nights out after shows with the orchestra and cast..... Was when I found Jack Daniels :P

Good times ;)

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1364154906' post='2022660']
Orchestra pit aged 14 and 15, joint youngest in the orchestra (with a trumpeter that plays professionally now).
Even though I was underage had some rather heavy nights out after shows with the orchestra and cast..... Was when I found Jack Daniels :P
Good times ;)
[/quote]

Best education a musician could ask for!
I'm right down that memory lane with you now! Shocking when I think back...........LOL "Even though I was underage had some rather heavy nights out after shows with the orchestra and cast..... Was when I found [s]Jack Daniels[/s] [b]strongbow[/b]......."

Edited by Bass Lady