Why become a member? ×

New Warwick owner

wally8

Hi Guys

This weekend I bought a mega natural warwick corvette fna jazzman of a ruddy nice bloke LLcoolbass. It is litterally the best bass i have ever played and ive tried quite a few in my 18 years of playing. The neck is amazing, it looks the business and has amazing amounts of different sounds.

It has this cool push/pull switch on the volume which bypasses the active 3 eq and runs off settings modified by a little screwdriver via the access on the back of the bass. Anyone have any experience with these settings for different sounds via the 2 small screwdriver switches?

Big up the Warwick massive

Hi,
I also have FNA Jazzman I bought off here year or 2 ago and I use it as my main gigging bass. I didnt want to use my NT Thumb if it would get knocked over or worst case stolen. But I have been really impressed with the FNA. You will hear so many different views on Warwicks but its always just up to they player, how the bass fits their needs or expectation. I love the Thumb. I have 2 NT89s (5st fretted and 6st fretless) so the neck is really thin and fast and since my FNA is 04 it has the newer necks which to me are quite chunky. But I have gotten used to it now. The B string on the FNA is not nearly as tight and focused if you know what I mean and it does not cut through nearly as well as the Thumbs. Many people always talk about the Thumbs having only one tone (this is actually turning out to be more about Thumb than FNA) but I have always thought it was more about your right hand technique hand where you place it and your attack.

Enough about Thumbs. It might sound like I dont like the FNA but I think its great. Really well built and having the option of the J pickup and the MM pickup gives you so many variations. I usually run it as a JJ config but just when you need that extra boost you can just change the MM pick up and you are cutting through. And having the 3 band Eq is always handy.

But finally to get around to answering your question, yes I am aware of the screwdriver switch but since I have never felt I needed to change anything I have not experimented with it. Quite happy with it the way its sounding at the moment.

Cheers

Hi,
AFAIK the knob pulled up totally bypasses the EQ,the adjuster on the PCB is to set the signal level of the active EQ in relation to the bypassed/passive.
You may have a none standard EQ,this could have been installed by Warwick when built,it could have a Bartolini EQ.
Post a pic of your electrics to help ID them.
http://www.warwick.de/media/manuals/Electronics/60055%20rev2.pdf

Its wicked lozz. Join the revolution. Mine has Seymour duncan electronics inside and they call the pull switch a contour control. The 2 sewdriver things adjust bass and mid boost. The non seymour bypass the 3eq and make it passive. Not mine, it gives it another flavour for something like a solo.

[quote name='wally8' timestamp='1363910061' post='2019578']
Its wicked lozz. Join the revolution. Mine has Seymour duncan electronics inside and they call the pull switch a contour control. The 2 sewdriver things adjust bass and mid boost. The non seymour bypass the 3eq and make it passive. Not mine, it gives it another flavour for something like a solo.
[/quote]

I kind-of have Ben, I now own a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz. Which is indeed a revolution for a player that generally only touches passive Precisions.

I cant believe i have gone this long without having one. I fell in love with a FNA back in 1998-2000 but got a MM instead. I then picked up a passive mid range corvette off a mate years ago for a few weeks and hated it, but this jazzman ticks all my boxes. The finish, the ultra fast neck for fingering and slap and the beef sound. Consider me a Warwick lover