Why become a member? ×

Reunited with my Doublebass!

MandShef

Finally, after 9 months, I got my doublebass back from the luthier. It's been lovingly restored, looks beautiful, and sounds great! So happy to have it back. I am attempting to attach photos ... hope it works!

[attachment=129216:DSCF0726.JPG]
[attachment=129217:DSCF0746.JPG]

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1362643839' post='2002469']
Hooray!!! Now here's a question: Would you use the same luthier again?
[/quote]

Good question Sarah. The process seemed overly long, and during that time I was seriously lacking in information. HOWEVER, when I went to pick it up he showed me the photos of all the work he'd done on it, and I could see why it had taken so long, and the reasons for doing what he did (if only he'd emailed me as updates at the time, then I wouldn't have got so stressed!). To be fair, once I explained to him that I wasn't trying to pester him, but just wanted updates, he did agree to send regular email updates. He has really taken care to properly restore the instrument, doing all I'd asked plus a hell of a lot more, whilst sticking within his original quote. The fixes look great, but most importantly I can really tell a difference in the playing and sound of it. I know people who've gone to bigger places with a team who may get work done quicker (this fella is one man working from his home), but I've also known people be unhappy with the final results, whereas so far I am over the moon! I think all in all, yes, I would go back to him, but hopefully I won't have to for a good long while now! It's this sort of thing that makes me see the sense in having a spare, second bass (if money were no object eh?).

OK, I happily recommend Geoff Briggs:

[url="http://www.yell.com/b/String+Instrument+Repairs-Musical+Instrument+Tuning+and+Repair-sheffield-S359WE-6190528/#aboutus"]http://www.yell.com/b/String+Instrument+Repairs-Musical+Instrument+Tuning+and+Repair-sheffield-S359WE-6190528/#aboutus[/url]