Why become a member? ×

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Serial Number Locations and Editions

V2factoryman

Hi folks,

I wasn't sure whether to post this under "ebay", as it relates to an ad there, but it's more a general enquiry to assist me in evaluating an item for sale. Basically I'm looking for one of these and have missed a couple on here but found one on ebay which is not too far away from me. However I have asked the seller the serial number and he says he can't find it? Apparently it's MIJ and I've read on here that these are generally believed to be better versions, anybody got an opinion?

Secondly the post says the bass has had active pickups added, does this mean that the electrics/tone controls will have been modified? Again I've asked the seller and he says "the work was done by a professional company". If they're active doesn't that mean that accommodation would have to be found in the body for the battery? The original pickups are for sale with the bass.

Any feedback greatly appreciated :blink:

I have a MIJ Geddy Lee, and the serial number is clearly printed on the back of the neck, at the neck-body join. I believe the serial numbers for all Japan-made Fenders appear there. If no serial number appears there, I'd certainly be suspicious.

I can't answer your question about the electronics (someone else surely will) but you ask for an opinion on whether 'these are . . . better versions.' Better than CIJ Geddy Lees, or better than Mexican-made Geddys? I've owned two Japan-made Fenders, and in my opinion the Japanese Fender basses are better than any bass in the universe! But again, others will give you more (possibly tons more) information along these lines. I have heard that Mexican-made Geddy Lees have problems.

tg

Edited by tedgilley

If it is the one that I think it is (just going off your location and that of one on e-bay) you can see black lettering where tedgilley has said, on the photograph taken from the rear, where it will say "crafted in Japan" and give the serial number. Unfortunately, it is not possible to enlarge the images to see clearly, but the seller should be able to provide it. Just for information, mine has the "crafted in Japan" legend in a very fine italic font

[quote name='V2factoryman' timestamp='1362424196' post='1999580']
Secondly the post says the bass has had active pickups added, does this mean that the electrics/tone controls will have been modified? Again I've asked the seller and he says "the work was done by a professional company".[/quote]

Does it say what the pickups are? Which brand? I'm not sure I like the sound of "a professional company"... usually work like that is done (if not by the owner themselves) by a luthier or guitar technician. They tend to be one-man operations rather than companies, unless they work in a music shop - in which case you'd think he seller would say that... Just doesn't quite ring true to me. If he had the work done then he should be able to tell you [i]exactly[/i] who did it (and the brand of pickups). If a previous owner had the work done, then how would the current one know that it was modded by a "company"? :huh:

My GL was modded with the addition of active EMG pickups. There was a bit of extra routing done (not very well!)within the existing cavity to accommodate one 9V battery, so the mod was reversible if needed. The controls were not changed either, but I think that would depend on which pickups were installed.

BTW, I've heard mostly good things about the new Mexican GLs. Maybe have a read through this thread: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/183431-fender-geddy-lee-basses-where-are-they-made-now/page__st__40__p__1928650__hl__geddy%20lee__fromsearch__1#entry1928650"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1928650[/url]

Edited by Conan

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1362493902' post='2000092']
What exactly is the difference, if any , between made in Japan and crafted in Japan ? [/quote]

Personally, I have no idea - but you might find the answer here... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/199394-whats-the-difference-between-cij-and-mij/page__p__1974158__hl__crafted%20in%20japan__fromsearch__1#entry1974158"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/199394-whats-the-difference-between-cij-and-mij/page__p__1974158__hl__crafted%20in%20japan__fromsearch__1#entry1974158[/url]

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1362493902' post='2000092']
What exactly is the difference, if any , between made in Japan and crafted in Japan ? I have a GL which says made in, but also an Aerodyne, which says crafted I just find it strange why there is a difference in wording
[/quote]

As I understand it, the difference is only in the wording, and there is a difference in the sequence of serial numbers for each of those labels.

Squier basses now often are stamped 'Crafted in Indonesia' (or China). The difference between 'made' and 'crafted' is probably just a matter of perceived value, i.e., craftsman vs. factory worker.

[quote name='Wylie' timestamp='1362501696' post='2000288']
The difference between 'made' and 'crafted' is probably just a matter of perceived value, i.e., craftsman vs. factory worker.
[/quote]

Yes. Much like the "farm fresh" eggs laid by beakless battery hens in wire cages in darkened aircraft hangars... The devil is in the detail. ;)

Ha ha thank you so much one and all, now at least I know what the abbreviation "CIJ" means (I worked out "MIJ" all by myself)! I agree the owner sounds a bit vague in his responses so I think on balance I'll give it a swerve, it's not as if I need it for a gig this weekend (I've got a gig this weekend, but I'm not desperate for a GL for it). Thanks folks, you're such a helpful bunch and it's greatly appreciated as I make my way back into the front line of low end presence :)

Postscript for Conan, thanks for your help. The pickups are EMG. Is it just me or is it like a disease when you go on the forum in the "For Sale" sections and start foaming at the mouth? I never had compulsive obsessive buying tendencies before I joined! :blink:

As I understand it MIJ was used on older models of Japanese Fenders. Nowadays I understand they are all CIJ models. Never played a bad CIJ Fender. Having imported 28 Aerodynes and retailed them all with nothing but praise from the buyers, I can say that every single one was perfect in finish, construction and tone. They also made a special Jaguar bass for me that took 6 weeks to make and it is just superb.

Apart from that, I really cant understand why anybody in their right mind would want to 'F' about with the electronics of a Geddy Lee Jazz. Just why would you ? If its modded then it isnt worth as much as a standard model - and if you should wish to pass on in the future then you should be aware of that, and be prepared to either struggle to sell it or get less for it. Probably both to be honest.

However, the choice is yours, but I wouldnt give it the time of day personally. There are many others out there without issues. I'd go for one of those.

Theres my two-penneth anyway. Good luck.

[quote name='V2factoryman' timestamp='1362424196' post='1999580']
Hi folks,

I wasn't sure whether to post this under "ebay", as it relates to an ad there, but it's more a general enquiry to assist me in evaluating an item for sale. Basically I'm looking for one of these and have missed a couple on here but found one on ebay which is not too far away from me. However I have asked the seller the serial number and he says he can't find it? Apparently it's MIJ and I've read on here that these are generally believed to be better versions, anybody got an opinion?

Secondly the post says the bass has had active pickups added, does this mean that the electrics/tone controls will have been modified? Again I've asked the seller and he says "the work was done by a professional company". If they're active doesn't that mean that accommodation would have to be found in the body for the battery? The original pickups are for sale with the bass.

Any feedback greatly appreciated :blink:
[/quote]

I've looked at the one on ebay and it's definitely a Geddy (it has a badass and the bridge pickup is in the 70's position). Don't know why he/she won't give you the serial number? MIJ are usually pre 97 but there must be exceptions to the rule because Fender Japan started the manufacture of geddy lee basses in 1998.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='rednose200' timestamp='1362691098' post='2003546']

Apart from that, I really cant understand why anybody in their right mind would want to 'F' about with the electronics of a Geddy Lee Jazz. Just why would you?[/quote]

Me neither! My standard Geddy pickups are hot!!

[quote name='V2factoryman' timestamp='1362664928' post='2002984']
Is it just me or is it like a disease when you go on the forum in the "For Sale" sections and start foaming at the mouth? [/quote]

No, that's a fairly normal reaction! :blush:

[quote name='rednose200' timestamp='1362691098' post='2003546']
I really cant understand why anybody in their right mind would want to 'F' about with the electronics of a Geddy Lee Jazz. Just why would you ? If its modded then it isnt worth as much as a standard model - and if you should wish to pass on in the future then you should be aware of that, and be prepared to either struggle to sell it or get less for it. [/quote]

Well, mine had been modded when I bought it, so the decision wasn't mine. But personally I don't see the problem in trying something different. If you've bought it, its your bass and you can do what you like to it. I actually like the sound of my Geddy with the EMGs. To my mind, the GL is simply a very good quality Fender J bass. It is very playable and has a lovely neck. There is no need to leave it exactly as it is unless you are some sort of sad Geddy clone. And don't forget, Lee himself doesn't play one of those basses, but a series of Custom Shop variations...

[quote name='Wylie' timestamp='1362699741' post='2003729']Me neither! My standard Geddy pickups are hot!![/quote]

I wouldn't know... :(