Why become a member? ×

Flea fans- take a look at this.

MiltyG565

It's Flea in 89, with a Warwick, and an Ampeg amp and cab. I've never heard or seen him with that rig. Although i do wonder if he uses Ampeg gear for the studio? 89 seemed to be a time when he was trying out a lot of different gear. He did use a Wal bass and an Alembic epic bass on BSSM and OHM respectively, along with his stingray on some tracks within a couple of years of this gig. Quite curious if you ask me. Maybe it was just a notion that took him, like when he was using Acoustic amps for a few months in 2011.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtT04QYIxVo

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1362372271' post='1999034']
Yep a Spector. The design that Warwick totally ripped off for their Streamers :lol:

Nice trousers by the way!
[/quote]

That's what threw me off! it's pretty similar, but when i looked at the fancy inlays and headstock, i realised my mistake.

Cheers, i got them at Aldi... oh, you mean Flea? my apologies.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1362372271' post='1999034']
Yep a Spector. The design that Warwick totally ripped off for their Streamers :lol:
[/quote]

Are Sadowsky "totally ripping off" Fender because they do a superior take on a Leo Fender design?

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1362430256' post='1999744']

Are Sadowsky "totally ripping off" Fender because they do a superior take on a Leo Fender design?
[/quote]

Superior to the early 60s jazz? But yeah, Sadowsky, along with a number of builders, are ripping off other people's designs.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1362430256' post='1999744']
[/quote]

I dunno, but there was a lawsuit between Spector and Warwick. Warwick agreed to pay licensing fees for using their design, and eventually stopped paying. When threatened with legal action they changed the Streamer just enough to get out of it!

Saying that, if I had to choose between the two, I'd still go for a Warwick for the superior sound, materials, and build quality :P

Nobody is ripping off the Fender designs. It was patented, and i believe the patent has expired now, meaning that it's public knowledge, and they can't open a lawsuit against another company because they are "Stealing their designs". That being said, that IS NOT what this thread is about. Funny how you can start a well meant thread for those interested in a band or artist, and it turns into an argument about bloody copying basses!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1362425017' post='1999605']
The big S on the top of the headstock suggests it's a Sarwick.

Or a Spector... ;)
[/quote]

I had been awake for over 20 hours at the time, i think i was lucky to even notice it had been uploaded and see that the rig is different! :D Although i do hear he has a few sarwick's that he uses sometimes :D

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1362432776' post='1999811']
I dunno, but there was a lawsuit between Spector and Warwick. Warwick agreed to pay licensing fees for using their design, and eventually stopped paying. When threatened with legal action they changed the Streamer just enough to get out of it!

Saying that, if I had to choose between the two, I'd still go for a Warwick for the superior sound, materials, and build quality :P
[/quote]

Aye, likewise. I also think that Warwick made a better bass out of Ned Steinbergers design.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1362432197' post='1999796']
Whenever I see footage of early RHCP gigs I always wonder "how did a band who looked so stupid ever make it so big?"
[/quote]

it was the 80s, don't forget :lol: