Why become a member? ×

Cab rattle, buzz, distortion sound won't go

Jimryan

Afternoon all,

This has been driving me mad for a while now. If I run my gear at a low volume, it's fine, but when it's loud, it's a different story altogether. It buzzes and rattles...big time. I've dissected it all today, coated the handles to stop them making noise, re-sealed both front and back panels, checked the rear of the driver and checked all the screws for tightness.

All of this helped, the rattle has near on stopped, the buzz is still there, but it's now developed a slight distorted sound. Which would be fine if I used distortion, but I don't.

It's doing my head in, I can't find a solution at all and I've got rehearsal in 3 hours...

HELP!?!

Another thing to check is the flexible wiring between the chassis of the speaker and the cone. Sometimes they are situated at such an angle where they rattle when the cone is moving. Gently move the two wires where they connect to the terminal post or tag strip by about 3 - 4mm and see if this resolves the problem.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1362596888' post='2001961']
I've reduced it considerably by placing weight on the roof of the cab when using it. It's defo the cab.
[/quote]

Eh? sounds like the walls of the cab might be moving about a bit then. Look inside and see if all the joints and screws are tight.

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1362640241' post='2002445']
If it is the walls of the cab you may need to glue some bracing inside the cab. Fairly simple to do.
[/quote]

My thoughts too. Gluing in some 3.4" or 1" dowel, something like this [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/carvin-ls1503-bracing-731252/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/carvin-ls1503-bracing-731252/[/url] (post #8) should sort it out. If it's a cheap cab it may have no bracing at all currently.