Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Whats the safest way to trade basses overseas?

alembic1989

The absolute safest way that I can think of would be to do it via eBay, but you'd have to be prepared to pay fees to do so.

You'd both set up an auction and allow "offers". You both then offer the other an identical amount of cash, equal to the value of the basses. You do it through offers so no-one else can bid and screw up the trade! Both of you then pay the other, and post the basses. Technically, you've both bought a bass, so you get all the usual paypal/ebay protection.

However, this isn't full proof, and it'll cost you real money (fees). I'd personally be very, very wary of trading high value items overseas. You'd really want to do your homework on the other guy.

The other way to do it would involve both of you shipping to a third party that you both trust 100%. Once they receive both basses and all is well they forward them on to you. Again though, costs effort and money.

Edited by uncle psychosis

I've done a few trades with overseas members of the forum. If they have good feedback I'll ship straight away. If however they are new to the forum with no feedback i agree with them that they ship their bass to me first and once it's with me, I'll ship mine to them.

This arrangement has worked fine for me over about three trades. Once all is OK I leave them feedback. None of the members I've traded with have had a problem with this as they can see my feedback and know they will have a safe deal.

With the best will in the world I'm not shipping a bass to someone abroad with no feedback.

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1362009889' post='1994585']
I've done a few trades with overseas members of the forum. If they have good feedback I'll ship straight away. If however they are new to the forum with no feedback i agree with them that they ship their bass to me first and once it's with me, I'll ship mine to them.

This arrangement has worked fine for me over about three trades. Once all is OK I leave them feedback. None of the members I've traded with have had a problem with this as they can see my feedback and know they will have a safe deal.

With the best will in the world I'm not shipping a bass to someone abroad with no feedback.
[/quote]

That sounds like a good system John.

Another option would be similar to uncle's, but avoiding ebay and their 10% fees.

If you both simply buy each other's basses for the same amount using a Paypal goods payment, then send off the basses, obviously using a signed-for delivery.
If the other guy does not come through with sending a bass, then you can claim back through the Paypal system. If he claims you have not sent a bass, then you have a signed-for delivery showing that you have (and hopefully photos of the packed up bass with delivery labels also).
It's not faultless, but it does give at least some protection, and you'll only pay about 3% Paypal fees.