Why become a member? ×

First time with Cajon last night

solo4652

For the acoustic numbers in our set, I decided to have a "bash" at the cajon. I bought a good one off ebay and watched loads of YouTube vids. Lots of home practice and, heart in mouth, had a first go with the band lst night. We did Maggie May, Babylon, Yellow, I'm a believer and Stuck in the middle with you. Our drummer was on the bongos alongside me. I hadn't bargained for 2 1/2 hours, so I have sore fingers and wrists today.

Enjoyed it, and got good comments from the rest of the band, including the drummer, so pretty pleased with my first attempt. I'll be playing more percussion with the acoustic set and then switch to (electric) bass for the full-band songs. Nice contrast for me.

I've just ordered a cahon mic, and I'll buy some rubber thimbles for my fingertips.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1361376565' post='1984983']
We use a cajon sometimes and I think they really are great. First time I saw one it blew my mind so the last 3 bands I've been in we've bullied drummers into getting one :)
[/quote]

Our drummer isn't especially bothered about playing the cajon. He tells me that there is a big difference between playing drum kits and hand percussion - different set of skills, apparently. He's a fine drummer, but can't get on with the cajon. I can sort of see that, from a drummer's perspective, the cajon could be seen as a somewhat limited instrument. No matter - he's better on the bass than I am and so we swap over depending on the song.

I've just seen this video of a funk groove on a cajon using a Heck Stick to the side. I like this.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwUTIjyXWHE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwUTIjyXWHE[/url]

Aye, they're great wee things. Love playing them at sessions. Theres so much you can do with them. I'm surprised it took so long for them to become popular with acoustic groups and at jam nights. Myself and the singer threw one together for €14. For the snare we just strung beer bottletops along an old guitar string and tightened it until it sounded good. I find that handball gloves (alley handball, not that olympic malarkey) helps keep the hands in relatively good nick.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1361411275' post='1985695']
Cajon's?

Posh hi-tech stuff. :P

Look what you can do with a pair of brushes and a plastic bag in a garden shed... :D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWOAp61jIWY[/media]
[/quote]

Ha! Love it. Good "snare" snap there, but a bit lacking in the bass department. He needs to have a look round the shed for a large watering can to kick.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1361438170' post='1985839']
Ha! Love it. Good "snare" snap there, but a bit lacking in the bass department. He needs to have a look round the shed for a large watering can to kick.
[/quote]

The bassist is actually a BC member so I'm sure he'll pass that on... :lol: