Why become a member? ×

Signal Chain

Jah Wibble

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1361977879' post='1993941']

I wouldn't go that far, you can play perfectly well without any effects (maybe with the exception of a tuner. The whole "i dont need a tuner, i have perfect pitch" thing makes the sound engineer in me want to scream. But i don't really want to get into that conversation), a compressor is just a tool to help shape your sound into what you want it to be.

I am a big fan of the markbass compressore pedal,but i know there is alot of love on this forum for the MXR compresser. Theres a few links to blogs/sites that are really useful for explaining how to get he best out of your compressor but ill let people more involved plug away. (if your impatient, try looking at other threads about compressors on here)

All id say is that id look out for one with input and makeup gain, threshold, ratio and attack controls at the least. also good monitoring helps.
[/quote]

Markbass do great well thought out pedals..........EXCEPT for the power they need!
I've got a super synth and think its the mutts nuts, but as I'm looking around for power modules for my pedal board I've discovered none have enough to supply MB pedals.
Salute Marco!

I used to just run everything in a line to the amp. Now I understand the benefits of using the effects loop on the amp. It really made a difference tonally. Now I run them...

Guitar > Line Boost > Chorus > Amp then Noise Suppressor > Distortion in the amp's effects loop.

[quote name='Jah Wibble' timestamp='1361985324' post='1994074']
Ah cheers XGSJX, some great advice.
Yeah am definitely after a filthy/evil synth sound, but want to put together some un-usual sounds too- been in touch with the fuzzyroucious guy a few times, gonna have to put in a order at some point. As for the SA BEF, bought it in the US and didn't but the hot hand as the store didn't have one to try out. Do you use it? Any good?
[/quote]

A few folk say a compressor is good for helping the synth sounds, but I've not tried one that I like (as yet anyway).
I find the essentials for a decent synth sound are octaver (or your synth), dirt & a filter, but like I said before, playing about with gear is the order of the day.

I don't have any SA gear, but there's a Facebook group dedicated to making wobbles & a lot of the guys on there have SA gear & Will Cady from SA is a regular on there (he's at the London Bass Show this weekend).
Have considered getting the Hot Hand 3 to use with my Moogs though.

Here's the group page...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/265330523479274/

you could use dirt instead of compression. When I'm doing synthy sounds I tend to use an envelope follower, and a wah as well (plus octave and the rest). If there's no dirt or compression after these effects, I just hear the peak of the squelch (does that make any sense?) rather than the full fatness. Dirt, or compression, calms down that peak and means I can hear the low mids again, which are obviously essential.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1361977457' post='1993933']
Here's a great site for compressor reviews.
[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/"]http://www.ovnilab.com/[/url]

[/quote]

Thanks mate, a great read here. Now to find a cheapish low end sustain pedal with little noise, ...gulp!

EDIT: last night, I actually paid attention to how I had laid things out and I got an emmense cavenous doomy synth (insert other cool adjectives) sound from this chain. I have unnecessarily doodled it down, yknow, Ive learnt something :)

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/spacesludgevoice.png/"][/url]

Edited by Left Foot