Why become a member? ×

Prostpective bassist

sulfr

Hey there everyone. Been shopping around for my first bass, which will probably be nothing compared to what I've seen around these boards, and I'm still saving up (getting a summer job too) but nonetheless here is my inquiry:

A friend from school offered to sell me a used 5-string Fender Jazz for ~$200 USD (listed as $550+ where I've seen), but ive been discouraged from starting with a five-string by several people, and I just admire a four-string instrument moar, especially since the 5 string Fenders just have a tuner sticking out the front, unless im being cheated and its a squire jazz

What does basschat recommend?

(will soon be receiving pics of aforementioned bass, to be posted then)

EDIT: also, been playing with some basses recently and have decided its more appealing than guitar, anyone else got started that way?

(and yes, i know its prospective)

Edited by sulfr

You can start on a 5 string but it will be a little bit harder than on a 4. If the music you want to play doesn't need a 5th string i'd say don't bother.

So where you from sulfr ?

And yes - I played guitar first and moved over to bass after about 6 months :).

Welcome to the forum - here are a few of my thoughts on your questions -

Most pop and rock bass parts were written by people who played 4-strings, so if that is what you want to play, you should not have a problem.

If you want to play in a band in church, or a band with a horn section (I think), then a 5-string will make it easier to find notes in the keys they tend to play in.

If you start with a 5-string, you will be able to do both - eventually.

If you do not like the 4+1 headstock of a 5-string Fender, or a Musicman, take a step back and ask yourself how important looks are to you. Some people think that old school looks are the only look for their kind of band. Others don't like the old school look, and prefer natural wood, no scratchplate, small tuner heads etc. It's cheaper to think and then buy than to buy and then think.

If you want to get a 5 string then get one and dont be put off by what other people say or play. In some respects it is easier to play a 5 string because you have more choice of hand positions (low G can be third fret on the E string and 8th fret on the B string) and you can play figures across the board that would involve moving hand positions on a 4. The downside is harder to play cos the necks are wider.

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='204050' date='May 22 2008, 08:21 AM']Some people think that old school looks are the only look for their kind of band. Others don't like the old school look, and prefer natural wood, no scratchplate, small tuner heads etc. It's cheaper to think and then buy than to buy and then think.[/quote]

Some people don't give a sh*t what their bass looks like.

I bought a 4 string bass because it's what I thought I was supposed to do. I got bored really quickly and bought a 6 string. Admittedly I had been playing guitar for 8 years, but I found that the 6 string was much more of a challenege and interesting to play etc.