Why become a member? ×

Geddy Lee Jazz Neck

Shabbs

The Geddy Lee neck is very , very skinny by any standards . Some people find it a bit to skinny . There can also be a problem with stability on necks that have so little wood in certain cases , and the very thin neck probably contributes slightly upper-mid - forward to the sound of the bass . The neck on the Geddy Lee is noticibly slimmer front to back than the neck on Geddys original 72 Jazz Bass that the Signature model is based on . I would recommend trying before you buy , if possible . I an not a big fan of these basses , but some other folks seem to love them .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1359991356' post='1963078']
The Geddy Lee neck is very , very skinny by any standards . Some people find it a bit to skinny . There can also be a problem with stability on necks that have so little wood in certain cases , and the very thin neck probably contributes slightly upper-mid - forward to the sound of the bass . The neck on the Geddy Lee is noticibly slimmer front to back than the neck on Geddys original 72 Jazz Bass that the Signature model is based on . I would recommend trying before you buy , if possible . I an not a big fan of these basses , but some other folks seem to love them .
[/quote]

Appreciated.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1359991356' post='1963078']
[/quote]

+1

This is what I found when I owned one. The one I had was faultless.

Ive just recently acquired one of these and i am really impressed by everything about it. The neck is as thin as anything ive ever played on any bass. As far as im concerned if you like fenders you cant help but love it.
Simple and effective. Does exactly what it says on the tin with little effort.

Another minor point I would mention about these basses is tio do with the Badass bridge . I like these bridges - they look great and do improve the sound of a Fender-style bass in my opinion , especially as you move up the neck into the higher registers -- but if you are a person who sweats a lot onto your basses the Badass can be a little bit prone to the mini adjustment screws seizing up due to corrosion . For most people this will never really become an issue , but if you will be sweating significantly onto the bass during gigs then it can become an annoying problem .

Edited by Dingus

I bought mine as a wanted a slim neck as a beginner I find it easy to play. Due the most of my working life manual work. My tutor likes the neck too. I can imagine as it gets older. It will need adjusting. But I am sure. A lot of. People who gig with this basswill know how tune it and ajust it. Great Bass. Great sound. Too

[quote name='afterimage' timestamp='1360348334' post='1969163']
I bought mine as a wanted a slim neck as a beginner I find it easy to play. Due the most of my working life manual work. My tutor likes the neck too. I can imagine as it gets older. It will need adjusting. But I am sure. A lot of. People who gig with this basswill know how tune it and ajust it. Great Bass. Great sound. Too
[/quote]
Cheers, need to get one now.

Great bass. Mine is amazing and the playability is second to none IMO. However, the one thing I would say is that the pickups aren't like your standard jazz pickups. They tend to be a bit more responsive/geared towards an aggressive attack or playing style, which is perfect for that 'Geddy' tone (particularly at the bridge). Its also great for that classic 'growl' but I find it difficult to get a less defined, bass-heavy tone from mine from just the pickups alone. Luckily my outboard preamp gives me that option but if you dont have one, its something you might want to consider.

Definitely get one. Its the ONLY bass ive ever kept and wouldnt get rid of. ive had mine since 2005, done hundreds of gigs with it and its great. Its not going anywhere.

They are worth every penny (although all of my experience is with the CIJ models)

Edited by skej21