Why become a member? ×

Crown xls 1000 any good?

Freddie75

Hi,

I've been looking at one of these - using an aguilar tonehammer pedal as a pre-amp.

Anyone have experience of using this set up and if so was it loud enough? I would be using a genz benz neox 212t for cabbage - crown bridged into 4ohms.

Some users on talkbass are saying that its not quite loud enough for some gigs - although not sure if they are using the bridge cable as recommended.

Anyhow, not sure whether to go this route or save up some more and get a genz benz streamliner 900.

Thanks
Freddie

If properly mono bridged you're looking at 1100W @ 4 ohms so I'm guessing it would just about be loud enough.
I don't where these TB-ers are gigging but they must be very large venues with no PA support! ;)

I mono bridge my XLS 402 for 900W @ 8 ohms and frankly it's bloody loud.
And Crown power amps are well-built and extremely reliable, btw.

Edited by discreet

The only negative I've heard about the XLS amps is their input sensitivity is fairly low i.e they need about 1.4V from the preamp to drive them to full power. As long as your preamp can provide that then you're set.

1100W bridged into 4 ohms, or even 700W into 8 ohms seems like plenty of power to me. It's possible that those who found it not loud enough were not giving it enough input level.

I have the XTi1000 bridged into 4 ohms, it's a tad more powerful at 1400w but I rarely run it past 50% and it's monstrously loud.

It is a little picky as to its input level, my pods balanced output can push the input into clipping quite easily, but as long as I watch the master output its fine. Crown amps are pretty similar in this regard.

I don't know the pedal you're planning on using, but I think you'd be fine.

Edited by WinterMute

The XLS1500 is certainly some good - I have a couple that power my PA system but I use them for bass too. Given that the 1000 is the same in only slightly smaller bunches, I can't see you struggling to be heard provided (as others have said) you can give it enough at the input.

I used an XTi1000 for a while but actually found it to be fairly inefficient in the lows. Use an Octave pedal and watch that clip light go!! Even in Bridge mode. It was fairly unimpressive for my application due to using lots of subs octave. I had read on the Crown forum that the XLS was less efficient as a dedicated bass power amplifier that the XTi, though I've never known anyone thats tried one so can't confirm deny it.

John (emporermingus) uses an XTi series live, but I think he went with the 2000 as headroom can be an issue if you are in a LOUD gig situation.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1359832402' post='1960988']
I used an XTi1000 for a while but actually found it to be fairly inefficient in the lows. Use an Octave pedal and watch that clip light go!! Even in Bridge mode. It was fairly unimpressive for my application due to using lots of subs octave. I had read on the Crown forum that the XLS was less efficient as a dedicated bass power amplifier that the XTi, though I've never known anyone thats tried one so can't confirm deny it.

John (emporermingus) uses an XTi series live, but I think he went with the 2000 as headroom can be an issue if you are in a LOUD gig situation.
[/quote]

You used an octaver for a B string?

Have you no respect for human life?

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1359990665' post='1963060']
Ha. No - I only used it on the E... but I run a Parallel Sub Octave to my signal that is low-passed so there is HUGE low end under neath everything. :)
[/quote]

That's what the Big Twin is for, I can't say I've noticed any lack of bass with the 5 strings, in fact I've had to modify the patches a lot in the Pod to back the bass off.

Different strokes, but the bass is good...!