Why become a member? ×

School me on combo's

tayste_2000

So I've been a bit out of the game on this side, rocking the Matamp GT200 and 8x10 for the past few years but I'm looking at changing a few things largely around jamming and home practice and fancy a small (ish) light weight (ish) combo

I was always wowed by the size and weight of the Mesa Boogie Walkabout (12inch version) so that might be a good starting point, but not really sure what's out there.

I do think the following applies though:[list]
[*]Has to be 1x15 or 1x12
[*]Going for a vintage styling to a degree
[*]Has to had a tube somewhere in it or sound fairly vintagey (so no spanky clean highs and nothing with a tweeter)
[*]Has to be a combo, not interested in light weight cabs and heads
[/list]

Just weighing up my options before I see what Matamp can do me in a combo, because weight is the concern but happy to go like 30kg or so in the combo. Over that I know exactly what I'd track down (Mesa Buster 200 1x15 Combo) :D

[quote name='tayste_2000' timestamp='1359727715' post='1959472']
Just preference and I tune a minor 3rd below Low B so a nice big speaker would be a plus
[/quote]

I use an octaver & go down to Ab without any trouble (it doesn't track too well any lower).
Like the chap above says, diameter doesn't equate to bass (look at those PJB combos with the 21 5" drivers).