Why become a member? ×

Matthew Garrison plays London 7 June - Victor Wooten band at Jazz Cafe, 5 July - basstastic!

urb

Well I must have been at a different gig because I have to say it was tuneless crap.
I saw the band on before Garrison and I thought that was pretty avant garde noise, but the MG trio was deeply disappointing. There were a few nice moments but the whole thing sounded like a discarded outtake from (Tribal Tech album) Thick. Horacio Hernandez could not have played any more busily if he tried, Scott Kinsey sounded the same as he did on Rocket Science (with the same keyboard sounds) 8 years ago, and MG was clever without saying anything meaningful. He had a middly, twangy tone and played a lot of muddy chords in the first 5-7 frets. The three of them did not gel at all. The one unison line I heard (at the end of the second number) was sloppy as hell. Someone forgot to tell them that music often requires some kind of melody or harmonic movement. They didn't settle on any rhythmic or melodic pattern for more than about 2 bars. Totally improvisational music treads a fine line between innovative and boring, and they were firmly on the latter side. A shame as Scott Kinsey was superb in Tribal Tech, as was Hernandez with Michel Camilo. Shows that great musicians + poor material = poor gig.

I think you were at a different gig, I thoroughly enjoyed it all, in fact I just finished emailing a mate telling him about the 1st band, he's a sax player I've played with for ages.

Just goes to show I suppose, what one person likes, someone else hates, never mind, 'tis the way of the world.

I didn't hate it, it was poor - poor ideas, poor ensemble playing and especially poor material. I was with someone else (also a bass player) - and we were like "where's the melody?" "Where's the groove?". I have seen most of the best jazz/latin musicians still alive, and last night's performance will not live in my memory at all. I'd also like to point out that this is not negativity for the sake of it. I really can't believe that MG would have been happy with his performance or the material. Interesting that these guys all sound great when playing [i]better material[/i] with really top-class instrumentalists (Camilo, TT, Herbie Hancock etc.). With another soloist, MG actually playing some bass rather than messing around with Logic and his effects, and a bit more structure, the gig could well have been fantastic.

[quote name='Mikey D' post='215868' date='Jun 10 2008, 01:03 AM']So I missed Dominique (Possibly my overall favourite!) aswell as Matt...great! :)

I didn't know he was going to be with Mclaughlin![/quote]

It was supposed to be Hadrien Feraud doing the tour, but he busted his hand in...not an ideal injury when you play bass really :huh:

From what Urb was saying when i spoke to him at the Garrison gig, it sounds as though Dominique was on fire, Mike said that he thinks Dominique is at the top of his game right now, that's pretty awesome!

[quote name='bassjamm' post='215953' date='Jun 10 2008, 10:04 AM']It was supposed to be Hadrien Feraud doing the tour, but he busted his hand in...not an ideal injury when you play bass really :)

From what Urb was saying when i spoke to him at the Garrison gig, it sounds as though Dominique was on fire, Mike said that he thinks Dominique is at the top of his game right now, that's pretty awesome![/quote]
I'm not really into Hadrien's playing, but I really regret not going, it's not often that Dominique is about,

I did a week of workshops with Dipiazza last year and his playing totally floored me, one of the most musical players I have witnessed-but all he kept saying was, check out the other guys in Paris, they are the real deal! May have to get over sometime.

[quote name='Mikey D' post='216266' date='Jun 10 2008, 03:51 PM']I'm not really into Hadrien's playing, but I really regret not going, it's not often that Dominique is about,

I did a week of workshops with Dipiazza last year and his playing totally floored me, one of the most musical players I have witnessed-but all he kept saying was, check out the other guys in Paris, they are the real deal! May have to get over sometime.[/quote]

That's interesting mate...mind me asking where that work shop was?

I personally quite like Hadrien's playing, he's got it together, although...i don't feel he's quite excelled! I'm in no position to comment to greatly on that though, i guess, like myself...he's still young and inexperienced to a large extent! So i really look forward to seeing him grow as a player and what not!

[quote]With another soloist, MG actually playing some bass rather than messing around with Logic and his effects, and a bit more structure, the gig could well have been fantastic.[/quote]

Whilst I wasn't there, I have had somewhat similar thoughts of late. There was the MG clinic on bassplayer live (or something; watch it on youtube) and I found myself fastforwarding through the performances, hoping for something interesting. I know it's all subjective, but (to me) it did feel like it lacked... substance?

Mark

[quote name='bassjamm' post='216360' date='Jun 10 2008, 06:29 PM']That's interesting mate...mind me asking where that work shop was?

I personally quite like Hadrien's playing, he's got it together, although...i don't feel he's quite excelled! I'm in no position to comment to greatly on that though, i guess, like myself...he's still young and inexperienced to a large extent! So i really look forward to seeing him grow as a player and what not![/quote]

It was part of the Sligo Jazz Project over in Ireland. This year they have got Reggie Washington teaching.

Regarding Hadrian, I don't think I have given him much of my listening time, how knows, maybe I would love his playign if I really checked him out.