Why become a member? ×

Short scale choices

squibs

Hi, I'm new here and I'm a new bassist, almost. I'd be interested in your opinions on short scales and 'genre specifc' basses.

I've rhythm guitariist of many years, my last band did groove-based stuff in ska, reggae and afro-pop styles.

Now I want to be a bassist. Last night I jammed with a new band, strictly reggae, they might recruit me, maybe not. But I'm also trying to start a swing/jump-blues band.
Two totally different styles. So does it matter what kind of bass I get?
(First, you could argue that a swing band should have a double bass; true. But I'm not ready for that.)

My financial position is a crule joke; I'm signing on and in debt. But I need to be in a band, therefore I need a bass. Just to feel alive.

I do know that I prefer short scale basses. I used to have an increadible Fender Jag, one of the first ones from 2008/9. But I had to sell it last year in order to eat. Anyway I struggled with the whole size of it.

I do love the look of the Bronco/Mustang/Musicmaster, and there are a few on Ebay. and I'm happy with Squier. The single coil sound would fit with the reggae or any other 'modern' stuff.

On the other hand; for playing retro stuff, maybe compensating for the lack of a double bass, would it be good to have a hollow body bass? Like a violin or club style from Hofner. Of course, way out of my price range but there are cheaper copies. What do you think the difference of humbuckers and a hollow body make for a sound?

On the other hand again, the point of a swing band is to make people dance, and so a 'punchier' single coil sound might be better?

Or, am I talkin' out me arse?

James

My girlfriend recently took up bass, but found she really struggled with a 34" scale, so we found ourselves in a similar position - hunting for a cheap, playable short-scale.

If you can stretch to about £200, I would [i]highly[/i] recommend the Squier Jaguar Short-Scale (Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Special SS - bit of a mouthful!) Lovely neck, fantastic build quality, and quite versatile with PJ pickups - can't really go wrong with that combo.

For something cheaper, Epiphone EB-0s come up on Ebay / Gumtree from time to time. If you're lucky, you might get one for £50-£100, but I've seen them go for £150+ too, which is more than they are new! The build quality is variable, so definitely try before you buy. They're also not all that versatile.

I've not tried a Bronco, but I understand some people have had success swapping the single coil for a hot-rails type pickup to get a much better sound.

I think if you prefer short scale instruments it's a bit of a no brainer, although plenty of people (read most people) use long scale instruments for the styles you mention. It's just a matter of personal preference. There are tonal differences in the scale lengths but it's still a matter of choice. You can find bassists that opt for short scales instruments in any genre.

I think pickup placement is probably more important than pickup type. Something placed right up by the fret board is never going to sound punchy regardless of its type, so don't let the type put you off.

Re the Bronco, I've not played one either, but like the good Dr says a lot of people here have had luck in pimping them. Just be aware that they were a budget bass and like all budget instruments likely to be quite variable. Try before you buy.

[quote name='jimbaby' timestamp='1359798293' post='1960361']
I have a Bronco and love it, they can be upgraded quite easily, the tuners are a bit suspect but since I restrung and did a wee setup it has faithfully stayed in tune, cheap as chips as well.
[/quote]

Broncos are great fun to play, really cool sound to them too.

I have a Mustang and a Musicmaster.

Personally, if advise against a Musicmaster or Bronco if you want a bass to use for those types of purposes. I don't think they have enough weight behind them, even with an upgraded 'hot-rails' style pickup (even though I actually preferred the original Strat style pup that came with it!).

I'd go with a Squier Mustang or Jaguar. Only because I don't like the EB-0/Eb-3 aesthetics! I would say though, that the bass is only half the sound; a decent little amp goes a long way in a band situation.

Another tip; whatever you get, invest in some decent proper short-scale strings. They will make life a lot easier for you when it comes to setting up and as you know, fresh strings really give you an idea of what the instrument really sounds like.

Truckstop

• 4 weeks later...