Why become a member? ×

Where do you practice?

ubassman

[quote name='Owencf' timestamp='1359631559' post='1957779']
Lounge room, as playing in the Kitchen, bathroom or bedroom would be rather awkward.
I really need to buy a decent sized house or flat.
[/quote]

Funnily enough I stayed in a hotel once that had a big walk-in wet room shower - it was the most amazing place to play with all its hard reflective surfaces ...just a bit impractical if someone wants to have a shower or use the loo!

[size=3][sup][quote name='Owencf' timestamp='1359631559' post='1957779']
Lounge room, as playing in the Kitchen, bathroom or bedroom would be rather awkward.
I really need to buy a decent sized house or flat.
[/quote][/sup][/size]
[size=3][sup] [/sup][/size]
[size=3][sup]I should have put in Awkward being small. :blush: [/sup][/size]

I practise in the hallway at the base of the stairs, large mirror to the side, not being worried about using 'plenty of bow'; no distractions and I sometimes set a timer for each discipline of practice to make sure I get the time in!

When the neighbours are out I sometimes practise in the lounge, but there are distractions, so I'm quite happy with the hallway and I'm quite happy with my progress after only 4 months.

Lucky me has a big library / music room and no neighbours. After years of flat-living it's bliss. Big window gives me a reflection to check, too, and it never gets too cold cos it's stone walls that hold the heat and has a chimney flue in one of them that's always warm in winter.

And wildlife out the window. Couldn't ask for more really. :)

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1359624931' post='1957622']
Front room facing the wall with the chimney so the sound bounces back. Any other direction in the room and the sound seems to really disappear. Also, because it's mid-terrace, 8-8:30pm is when I stop.
[/quote]

Same here. Except I don't stop at 8:30.

My basses are in the dining room so that's where they usually get played but they sound best in the sitting room which is almost square and has a massive bay window. If I'm home alone I'll lug one through there to practise. There's also a large mirror in there so I can see if my posture is awful - after four months of physio on a crap shoulder I'm really careful about that now.