Why become a member? ×

Hello from a newbie!

MikeeP

Hello all

After playing guitar for a few years (mostly unsuccessfully), I've switched to the better side - bass - and thought I'd say hi! I'm planning to do things properly and start with some lessons and hopefully I'll be able to progress a bit over the coming weeks/months/years.

I have an Overwater by Tanglewood (Classic J Series), which sounds, feels and looks great to me.

If anyone has any tips for a beginner, please feel free to let me know!

Thanks

Mikee

Hello! welcome!

Tips for a beginner? Listen to a song before you try and learn it. listen, listen, listen, listen and then listen again. Know that bassline in your head before you try and play it. Also never underestimate the value of practice! in between sessions of listening, practice, practice, practice!

If you have any more specific questions, just post them somewhere, nearly anybody could give you a good answer here.

Welcome Mikee,

Overwater are a great brand, and nice guys too. The tanglewood's are cheaper but still still have Overwaters quality even though their made far far away.
Anyway, if you like the sound and feel of it It doesnt matter what type you have.

Cheers Leen.

Hey Mikee,

Welcome!
It already looks as if you can thrive with being here. Good.

My advice would be to read on this vast site, and ask about everything that is unclear. Me, in just a largelong year, I've learned so much here that I now know thousand times as much as I started out with. Ssadly started with zero though. ;^)

Enjoy!

best,
bert

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='MikeeP' timestamp='1360676565' post='1974364']
Can anyone recommend any bass tutors in the Leeds area?
[/quote]

I believe there is a thread for tutors. hang on...

Nope, couldn't find it. Your best bet is to probably go into one of the other sub forums and post there looking a teacher.

[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1]Hi from another new member.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"] [/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1]Similar story but I did actually start out on bass, then on my tutors recommendations moved to guitar for many, many years (about 30) and have now finally moved back to my calling.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1]Have been studying bass for the last two years and am really loving it. I play in a band with two 49 year old fantastic musicians and my 18 year old son who plays drums. I’m forty six and very much think of myself as the weak link. But I do own the PA! :P [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"] [/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1]I play a Michael Tobias Design KZ4 bass, it is a wonderful instrument and very light weight. I had to replace my previous bass due to serious back problems. [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1]I am looking to replace my under powered EBS Classic 60 combo so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated although it does have to be light weight.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1]Roj[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1]BCB (Black Country Bass)[/size][/font][/color]

[quote name='BCB' timestamp='1360884847' post='1978049']
[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1]Hi from another new member.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1]Similar story but I did actually start out on bass, then on my tutors recommendations moved to guitar for many, many years (about 30) and have now finally moved back to my calling.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1]Have been studying bass for the last two years and am really loving it. I play in a band with two 49 year old fantastic musicians and my 18 year old son who plays drums. I’m forty six and very much think of myself as the weak link. But I do own the PA! :P [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1]I play a Michael Tobias Design KZ4 bass, it is a wonderful instrument and very light weight. I had to replace my previous bass due to serious back problems. [/size][/font][/color]

[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1]I am looking to replace my under powered EBS Classic 60 combo so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated although it does have to be light weight.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1]Roj[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1]BCB (Black Country Bass)[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Damn your font is small!

[quote name='BCB' timestamp='1360884847' post='1978049']
Hi from another new member.

Similar story but I did actually start out on bass, then on my tutors recommendations moved to guitar for many, many years (about 30) and have now finally moved back to my calling.
Have been studying bass for the last two years and am really loving it. I play in a band with two 49 year old fantastic musicians and my 18 year old son who plays drums. I’m forty six and very much think of myself as the weak link. But I do own the PA! :P

I play a Michael Tobias Design KZ4 bass, it is a wonderful instrument and very light weight. I had to replace my previous bass due to serious back problems.

I am looking to replace my under powered EBS Classic 60 combo so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated although it does have to be light weight.

Roj
BCB (Black Country Bass)
[/quote]

Hey Roj,

Welcome!
So your tutor had faith in your brain capacity then? Nice of him, I guess, but it's great you'd finally call him out on it. Welcome back to Dumm County!

In the mean time, be advised that many people won't see your introduction, as they'll have moved on from this thread. You might wanna consider making your own thread so more people can see your question. That, and/or making a thread on the Amps and Cabs forum.
There's also a search function so you can read yourself up a bit before asking well aimed questions about gear that catches your eye.

I assume that after 30 years of w*nking, you're a bit out of the loop - as of bass gear.
First thing people will ask is what budget you have and what you want to achieve soundwise, but I guess that if you're content with the sound of your combo, that you could do with a few EBS cabs plus a Hi-Fi head. The EBS 112s do not weigh much, sound well, and there's a plethora of small, lightweight Class D heads that might do the trick together with the EBS cabs. Be aware Class D amps use smart trickery, and are not appreciated by everyone. Me, I have this rule that I'd rather walk more often between car and venue, but that every single unit must weigh a max of 20-25 kilos. Such a unit weight would give you some heavy duty amp head stuff (EBS, Genz-Benz or GLockenklang for example) and for example 2 112 cabs.

There's a plethora of good other cabs besides the EBSs as well. Aguilar, Barefaced, Bergantino, Genz-Benz, Schroeder - and many more, depending on taste. You might like some of the Ashdown ranges, MarkBass, TC Electronic, Trace Elliot -- oh, the list goes on and on.
Many people here love the cabs by Barefaced. I noobly wouldn't know, but I'll admit to having that stuff on order. A BF Compact plus a BF Midget will give you three different rigs to choose from, also soundwise. In addition, they're [b]extremely[/b] light.

Enough from me. It's 3 A.M. and it's not even Wednesday Morning. I hate you.

Enjoy the site!

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

• 1 month later...