Why become a member? ×

Bass through the mac

lushuk

Never tried it cos I don't have a Mac,
But...

Donovan at fretspot explains how he records the samples for his basses here...

[url="http://www.fretspot.com/2012/11/how-i-record-audio-and-video-together/"]http://www.fretspot.com/2012/11/how-i-record-audio-and-video-together/[/url]

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1359546575' post='1956309']
Well, you need to vegan interface . Or you could get a lead which has standard guitar jack on one end and a USB at the other.
I use a toneport ux1 by line 6.

Somebody else will be along shortly
[/quote]

+1, but I use the Line 6 Tone port GX when I'm travelling.

At home I plug into a DI box, which goes into a mixer along with my mac's output into some generic speakers / headphones.

If your Mac has an audio-in jack, there's now't to stop you plugging the bass in directly, so long as you have a mini-jack converter. Whichever way you connect though, you'll need some recording/playback software of some kind - GarageBand, or a gazillion others, depending on your budget.

BB

Garageband works, or if you have the cash to spare Logic is always brilliant to have as most other people use it. What I use is a simple USB 4 track recorder/interface with DI inputs and jack sockets, then rig up and record, I use both mic and DI, if people are interested in a decent mic for not much money check out Superlux. The mic I've linked is exactly the same as a Sennheiser but with a different housing, sounds great!

http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_pra_628_mkii.htm

Well, i've recorded my bass a couple of times. Luckily, both my amps have a DI out on them, so it's pretty easy, here's how i do it.

I plug in my bass and amp as normal, set it up normally, although keep the "input" volume low- this is the volume of the preamp, the part of the amp that is actually being used when DI'd. So then i plug my XLR lead into the DI out on the amp, and it goes right into the audio interface, which has a female XLR on it, so i plug the XLR lead in there. Then there is a lead that runs from the interface to the USB connection on my Mac, this powers it and also allows the information to be transferred. Then i go into audio/midi set-up (it's in the applications folder) and change the drivers to the one for my audio interface.

That's it in a nutshell really. If you don't have a bass amp with a DI out, then you should pick up a DI box. Very handy to have, you can get decent ones from £20/£30, or really good ones for £250, and pretty much everything in between. It depends on what you want it for. Just recording? Just get a fairly decent cheap one.

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1359585385' post='1957255']
Hasn't it got GarageBand ? I think it's standard depending on how old your Mac is. GarageBand is a cut down version of Logic and suits me fine.
[/quote]

Sorry to go off-topic - I have only used garage band to do ringtones for my phone and nothing more.
if it's a cut down version of Logic, is it possible to use it as a notation program? i.e. for manual input of transcriptions? or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Thanks

If you want to spend a little cash, grab a Bass Pod off eBay, it connects to the Mac via USB, and will turn up as an interface in Logic and the like. Means you get a chance to make a good tone without having to connect audio outputs from amps etc. Modelled amps and cabs plus effects...

Bit more money I appreciate, but it's a really easy way to get good bass recordings.

[quote name='bluesparky' timestamp='1359634803' post='1957909']

Sorry to go off-topic - I have only used garage band to do ringtones for my phone and nothing more.
if it's a cut down version of Logic, is it possible to use it as a notation program? i.e. for manual input of transcriptions? or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Thanks
[/quote]

Sorry, I do not know whether you can use it for notation. It does what I want it to do! Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable about these things will be along soon.

[quote name='bluesparky' timestamp='1359634803' post='1957909']
Thanks
[/quote]

I've avoided this one because i just don't know. You should have a search around Garageband, and if you can't find anything use the search bar on the help button along the top of the screen while in Garageband.

I have a 3.5mm stereo jack that has a long cable which is 2 mono cables stuck together & has a mono 1/4 jack on each one.
Turn your volumes down (important bit).
Plug a 1/4 jack into either your bass or line out/effects send on the amp & plug the 3.5mm jack into your iMac. Put the other jack safe so it doesn't short.
Open your DAW & create an audio track, turn your volume up a little on the bass/amp & on the DAW's input selection, just select the channel that has audio coming through it.
I made a comparison with me playing this way & then using a USB interface, posted it on here & everyone preferred the non USB sound.