Why become a member? ×

Aria pro SB Elite II SOLD

bassmeg

Not sure i will let this one go, but will see what the interest it attracts.

Give it some Duran Duran with this in your hands.
It has a monster gnarly,, piano-clangging cut through any mix sound. I have used this with light strings on and it plays so fast! It has the most distinctive sound of any bass i have owned. The singer in my band was not very happy when i started to play my 5 stringer in preference to this. I can see why-coz this has a very very barky tone, Where my KZ5 was tamer but more bass rounded- whatever that means?

It has a tapered neck Two pups with volume for each, tone and two switches that do something but i keep them on one setting only which gives it a fuller sound.
It is paduak red thru-neck.
Someone before me has routed a hole for a third pup. Its been done well and an alembic pup should fall straight in there. I have not seen the need to do this. but it would cover the hole.
On the back, when drilling out for the lugs, they have gone through and i have shown the damage in the photos

Bought from Basslondon a few years back.

Awesome sounding passive bass.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174955-john-taylor-duran-duran-isolated-bass-track-to-rio/"]http://basschat.co.u...s-track-to-rio/[/url]

£350

Collection testing from portsmouth. Will post at cost.

[attachment=126132:P1262000.JPG]
[attachment=126133:P1262001.JPG]
[attachment=126134:P1262002.JPG]
[attachment=126135:P1262003.JPG]
[attachment=126136:P1262005.JPG]
[attachment=126137:P1262006.JPG]
[attachment=126138:P1262008.JPG]
[attachment=126139:P1262009.JPG]

Edited by bassmeg

That's not an SB900, it's an SB II elite. The difference is in the neck profile, the string spacing, the inlays and the gold hardware, the electronics are the same though, and they do look similar so the confusion is understandable, Aria built the elites and the SB-R with a more familiar feeling neck in a bid to conquer America I think. I'm sure someone knows more than me. Was it sold to you as an SB-900?

I think the deal we did involved 3 basses in an exchange scenario. I think I called it SB 900/elite because it was post Matsumoko and couldn't definitively ascertain which it was. I'm happy to be updated. It certainly seemed a different bass to my early 80's SB900 ( another passive twin pickuped SB) I owned in the late 80's, which was more like my current SB1000. I think the neck dimensions are different to my SB1000 (which enjoys almost Fender Jazz dimensions in an oddly non tapering way)and certainly the volume controls on the 900/ elite bass aren't recessed like the early 80's Matsumoko products. It's also lighter than my Oak coloured SB1000, but these are NOTORIOUSly ( sorry couldn't resist) heavy. Hope this provides some clarity. I certainly didn't intend to misrepresent the bass.

I never thought it was misrepresented. When i bought it, i immediately played it at a gig and was blown away by the presence of the sound. That is ultimately what i an looking for, be it an encore or dingwall. I am glad that it is being clarified for anyone who is interested in it.
I would be happy to be advised on what the value of the bass should be. As i said in the OP i am happy to keep it. Thanks for all the input so far guys.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174955-john-taylor-duran-duran-isolated-bass-track-to-rio/

Nicked from Noelk27s aria sb600 post.

This is how mine sounds. But it is funny that when played in a band situation the sound of the bass sits high in the mix and is very noticable. It may sound a bit "ugly" to some by itself, but when playing along with other instruments it sounds awesome.
We play Rio and it sounds stonking when played with this.